tent trailer for GS 850 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tent trailer for GS 850 GL

Hi, I've the chance of a good deal on a pop up tent trailer for bikes .
    Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether my '80 GS 850 is capable of towing this trailer. Trailer weighs 250 lbs. I'm thinking that it won't, but does anyone have an expert opinion in the area of towing trailers ?

Thanks !

I don't know why it wouldn't. They have a carrying capability of 500 lbs, which is significantly greater than most motorcycles, and the engine has always felt to me like it could easily pull another gear. So long as you don't get too carried away with your load, you should be OK.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

Comment

250 pounds doesn't sound like very much, the old tent trailers used to weigh close to 750 and people towed them with bikes. How much get up and go does your bike have with a 250 pound passenger?

Steve

Comment

Thanks for your input, guys. Never had a heavy passenger on board, just my daughter who weighs 100 lbs. Plenty of pull, though I guess I've only ever seen bigger bikes towing trailers - your Goldwings, your bigger Harleys, etc. Would be neat to get this set up for the G.S.

Comment

I'll have to take a picture and post it tomorrow The turn signal integrator on my project has been giving me fits for a week now, and I'm an Electrical Engineer...

Steve

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about having enough power -- if a wheezey, underpowered, overweight Hardley-Ableson can yank a trailer around, a GS850 will have no trouble.

How are you planning to mount the hitch? I'm sure you'll need to fabricate some sort of contraption, and we'd all be interested in taking a look when it's done.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah, thanks, The trailer & hitch was on a Kawasaki Voyager. I'm sure the mounting points are different, but I'll see what I can figure out to get the hitch to fit

Comment

Working...
              X