My Bike has a weak spark but when I....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bike has a weak spark but when I....

wiggle a screwdriver around in between the contacts on the points, it causes the spark plugs to produce a big blue spark when they are visible (removed) and grounded to the engine. But when I crank the bike over with the starter they are very weak. I readjusted the point gaps to 14 thousandths, but still weak sparks (although a slight improvement), no where near the blue sparkage when I do the srewdriver thing. What does this suggest?

'77 GS750

Maybe the points just need cleaned. I had starting problems a while back, cleaned the points, and she started right up.

Use a rag with some contact cleaner (or I imagine WD-40 would work), or if the crud is really bad use some fine grain sandpaper and carefully file it away.

Also, check the spark when using the kickstarter (I think the 77 750 has a kickstarter????). It could be that the starter solenoid is starting to go bad.

Hope this helps.

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Use contact cleaner,it evaporates quickly.WD40 can leave a residue.Run the bike before you put the points cover back on,heard about a guy who put the cover on directly after spraying liberally,fired up the bike,the WD40 ignited and blew the cover off.

Comment

Try explaining that to the insurance adjuster! 8O

Seriously though, make sure the gap is correct and that the points don't look burnt or worn at all. If they do, they'll likely need replacing. the contact cleaner is a good idea. Avoid the sand paper for the same reason as the WD40 - residue. If I 'm not mistaken theres a such thing as a dressing stone to file points down.

Hope this helps...Sam

Originally posted by Dougie
        Use contact cleaner,it evaporates quickly.WD40 can leave a residue.Run the bike before you put the points cover back on,heard about a guy who put the cover on directly after spraying liberally,fired up the bike,the WD40 ignited and blew the cover off.

Comment

I lew of cleaners - fold a business card in half put it between the point contacts and slide it thru

Comment

Working...
          X