Possible clutch issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible clutch issue?

My bike is a 1980 GS850GL. It's been running fairly well (a local mech made a nice mod to it by putting a '79 points-ignition system in it, which eliminated ignition problems that had been bedeviling me for *months*), but last night, I started hearing a rattling or gear-clashing noise between my feet.

Slowing to the shoulder, I experimented. Pull the clutch lever, the sound stops utterly. Coasting with the clutch lever out, no noise. The noise is only present during acceleration. Putting the bike on the centerstand and running with no road-load does not change anything. Shifting is smooth as ever, and the power curve seems normal, with no slippage at all. I was at the time about 5 miles from home, so I rode home gently, coasting as much as possible.

I've drained the engine oil and removed the right-hand cover to expose the clutch. Removing the contents of the basket, I see that the plates are pretty thin--probably a good time to replace them.

Other than checking the hub nut for proper torque, the rivets for snugness, and the slots that the fiber drive plates engage with the teeth for wear, is there anything else I should be looking for?

--David

My 78 550 does the same thing. Does the sound even occur when the bike is in neutral? Mine does. Pull the lever in, and it stops. Some of the gs's are notorious for clutch noise, and I assume this is what is going on with our bikes. A search for "clutch and noise" on this site will turn up dozens of posts. Mine is not audible during acceleration though. If yours is extremely loud and you can hear it even when running down the road, try to isolate where the sound is coming from ASAP. If it's your transmission, then get it fixed up quick. It could possibly be the clutch hub nut too. However, the hub nut was tightened to spec on mine and the noise still occurs.

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

There is a small amount of noise when the bike is in neutral, but not at all to the level I get in gear. It is clearly audible all the way up the power curve until the wind overpowers it.

--David

Comment

now, i cant remember exactly what it said, but in my clymers, that was one of the problems listed in the troubleshooting section.

Something i think to do with.....excessive rod clearance??

Comment

My experience has been that this is the springs in the clutch hub & not much to worry about. However you should have someone familiar w/these bikes take a listen to be sure.

Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
          X