Low vacum after top end rebuild?Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low vacum after top end rebuild?Help!!

Hey guys,I just rebuilt the top end of my 79 GS850G{std rings,and lapped the valves due to low compression-found that exess carbon had built up on seats holding valves open}cleaned carbs new needles+seats.Now its difficult to start and when i try to synk the carbs i can only get 4-6 inches of vacum before i run out of adjustment at carb.I followed the procedure i found outlined i varius posts-9/64 throttle opening +3 turns,1 1/2 air screw,1 3/4 idle mixture screw.points and timing werent touched and were new,although to get it timed right i had to turn the points to the limit of there adjustment before i did top end-Any ideas,could i have a cam off a tooth-im pretty sure they are right but?? :?

Perhaps the rings are not seated yet. Or the cylinders are out of round. I fit is not done with a overbore and oversized pistons it usually wont last more than a few K miles if it works out at all.
    did you mike up the jugs??

Comment

Recheck your cam timing and check your compression in each cylinder.

Comment

CHeck the cam timing, I'm guessing you are off a tooth

Comment

Found crank had moved i tooth,making both cams off--easy to do--it happened a second time while setting it--got it right now--got vacume--- but still missing like hell looked at brand new points and rear set sparking like crazy,must be a bad [new] condenser-just won a dyna set up on ebay got to be better in long run,point+condenser set me back nearly 40$
          THanks for your help guys!!
          Bob Mulligan in VA. :roll: :roll:

Comment

You do need to change the coils with the dyna or run a balist resistor. In the last 12K miles the only thing I have done to the points on my 79 GS850 is one cleaning. I do have a dyna Ign, it has been in my spare parts bin for the last year. I couldn't pass up the sale they had last year

Comment

Lynn, the Dyna ignition will run fine with stock coils. At least the Dyna "S" will.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
              X