Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting

I have a 1983 gs750e. SOmetimes when I go to start it, I turn the key on, push the start button and I can here the relay click, then the lights go out and nothing happens. Then sometimes if I go to turn the key on again, sometimes nothing happens. Could this be a bad connection or worn out ignition at the key? Also, if the bike isnt quite warm yet, when I am riding it sometimes it will just start to bog, slow right down lie it isnt running on all cylenders and quit. I can wait a few minutes, then it will start up again and be ok.. THis seems to go away if the bike is hot.. ANy ideas???

I would guess that you have some corroded connections with one of the large wires going to the battery. Either the ground wire, or the pos wire. Take the wire off the battery terminals and clean them up, then go to the other end of those wires and clean them up. Not sure why the problem would go away once hot, maybe the resistence goes down?

Comment

Alright I will check that out. I was just out for a ride, and it seemed to be ok. The only thing is, once in awhile it will start to bog out when I am just cruising, and even with full throttle it will just be enough to keep it going. I have to pull over, and it just dies. I wait a few minutes, and it is difficult starting then seems to be ok. COuld this be a carb issue?

Comment

Originally posted by skippythespy
        Alright I will check that out. I was just out for a ride, and it seemed to be ok. The only thing is, once in awhile it will start to bog out when I am just cruising, and even with full throttle it will just be enough to keep it going. I have to pull over, and it just dies. I wait a few minutes, and it is difficult starting then seems to be ok. COuld this be a carb issue?
        Could be the gas cap not venting. Next time, take the gas cap off, replace it and see if it runs.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
          Originally posted by skippythespy
          Could be the gas cap not venting. Next time, take the gas cap off, replace it and see if it runs.

Terry
          Agreed, what you just described is fuel starvation, usually a venting problem, possibly a petcock problem. I think your starting issues, and your power loss maybe two different problems.

Comment

IT is interesting that you say that because the petcock wont turn. It is set to the "prim" and I cant seem to turn it for some reason.

Comment

WD-40 or a similar preparation may give some assistance in moving the lever on the petcock. Moiisten it, wiggle it back and forth until it loosens a bit. After that, a drop of engine oil will keep it moist.

The fuel starvation may be corrected by a thorough cleaning of the cap, which requires that it be taken apart. (there are two bolts on the bottom, that hold it together.)

The poor starting is undoubtedly an electrical contact problem. Since it is intermittent, the most likely culprit is a poor main ground.

Disconnect and very thoroughly clean ALL the contacts, and reassemble tightly. Add an extra ground wire between the battery and the frame, AND another between the Regulator/Rectifier and the negative post.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

For the fuel starvation, also check the fuel line from the petcock to the carbs, as those can sometimes constrict or fold over once they get warmer and more bendable from the heat of the engine. If you let the bike sit, they'll cool down and regain their circular shape, letting fuel flow.

--Tyler

Comment

Alright, thanks for the help. I will try to free up the petcock, and have a look at the fuel lines. Hopefully I can find the bad ground, and get this thing into riding shape. Also this problem with the bogging out started when I took off the gas tank, and the valve cover to have a look at the cams, chain ets. When I went to put the wires back on the plugs, I pulled the end off so possibly its not making a good connection. COuld this result in intermitant bogging out though? ANd this seems to happen if I am just cruising, and not if I am constantly speeding up and slowing down, doing in town riding. So weird!!

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for this bike? Apparently clymer doesnt make one for this bike..?!?!

Comment

Working...
                  X