Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help, strange vibration

Hello,
    I'm a big fan of the GS series and have owned a 550, an 850 and my current bike is an 83' GS1100E. She has been a fine bike and I have put about 26k miles on her in the last two years including an 1163 Ironbutt day.

Last weekend I was getting onto the freeway and I was accelerating very hard. When I backed off the throttle she didn't feel right (sort of buzzy with more vibration than normal). It was a short trip and I didn't think too much of it, especially when it was back to normal the next day.

It's been fine for the week so far until last night. I had to make a longer trip (to Edmonds from Seattle) and it ran fine on the way up. On the way back the buzzing and vibration were back. I stopped to look for anything obvious, but I am stumped. It was doing it again this morning on my commute into work.

I don't feel the vibration in the handlebars. It is all in the seat and the gas tank (where the knees touch it). I balanced my own tires, but that was 5000 miles ago (pre iron butt) and the weights are still in place and it feels like a finer vibration than that anyway. All bolts, engine mounts etc, that I inspected last night are fine. I can't really feel the vibration revving the bike when it is stopped.

Has anybody experienced something similar? Does anyone have ideas of what I should look into? Any help or advise appreciated.

thanks

You may want to sync your carbs, that can cause a vibration.

Comment

Like Luke said that is usually the #1 cause. Most of the things after that are much worse. It could be a twisted crank. That is exactly where you would feel it.

Comment

I'll try to sync the carbs this weekend then and pray that that's it. I appreciate the input

Comment

I thought that Suzuki had made the crank on the 83 stronger and that the twisted crank problem was more likely on 82 and older bikes.

Comment

Suzuki started welding the 4 valve 1100 cranks in mid 1982, they weld all the journals except the one at the primary gear, always wondered why the didn't weld all the journals. I doubt a twisted crankshaft, it's kind of unusual for the welded ones. Maybe just the carbs !!!! Good luck

Comment

There you have it. I didn't know that guys. Thx.

Comment

Is your vibration above a certain speed?

Mine had vibration the last time I rode it a few weeks ago, but only above 75 mph.

I was told to check the valve clearance and to sync. the carbs.

I'm in the process of doing that now. I will report here when I'm done to let everyone know if that helped.

Also check the screws that old the cosmetic cam endcaps on. My vibrated a screw loose and the damn thing fell out! when they go back in, they're going with Loctite blue...

Comment

it is more noticeable at speed, but it seems to be happening accross the board. I just ran out to grab lunch and noticed that if I am idling along at say 30mph and I give it a little gas that I feel the vibration kick in. I also noticed that I can feel it when engine braking. I'm feeling more encouraged that it is the carbs, but we will see.

Comment

If it's related to engine speed, it is almost certainly one of the three:

1. Carbs out of sync.
                    2. Valve clearances out of spec.
                    3. Carbs diry or misadjusted.

Check them in reverse order of how I listed them to save possible expense.

Read up in your Clymer manual, and you'll see it's not too bad.

Comment

Loose clutch hub nut if not the carbs, maybe.

If the carbs get synched and the vibration is still there. Might be worth a check. Get the APE or Falicon nut if it is loose.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                      X