Gas leak - can I ride it home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leak - can I ride it home?

OK, I commuted for the first time today on my 85 gs550e. Big mistake! The ride in was fine. At lunch I went to put in a new brake light bulb and smelled gas. I discovered a patch on the ground about the size of an envelope and about a tablespoon of gas on the engine. I put my hand up under the right side of the tank and I believe it's leaking from the fuel gauge sending unit as it did this once before. Question...my commute home is about 10 miles. Is it ok to ride it home in this condition or is it just too risky with gas dripping on to a hot engine? Also, is this something I might be able to quickly resolve without having to drain the tank? If so, I might just try to fix it before riding home. Incindentally, I gassed it up the morning and it has more gas in it than it's had for a while. Could the higher level have anything to do with it?

By the way, it's in Oregon and is now for sale if anyone is interested. Thanks!

If you have enough gas you're probaly just fine for the ride home. It actually takes quite a bit of gas to be out and out dangerous in an open aera. Especially uncontained like yours is. I just wouldn't ride the bike more than necessary.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I have enough to get home. It's just the gas dripping on the hot engine that concerns me. It's not horribly hot today either. So you're saying I shouldn't have a concern to at least get it home? Thanks.

Comment

If it was mine, I'd ride it home. The size of your pubble isn't very big so it's a slow leak (drops will probably evaporate before getting big enough to drip), and even if it was a lot worse I don't think your engine is going to get hot enough to ignite it. I wouldn't throw any cigarette's or matches down there though.

Comment

If your engine were hot enough to ignite anything combustable you'd have a bigger problem than leaking gas. The engine shoudlnt' be exceeding 300 degrees... ever....
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Good deal. I'll ride it home (to my wife's delight - more leaking gas) and will give a report tonight. Thanks again!

Comment

By the way, I made it home just fine. The bike actually ran great and no more leaking, although it still smells. If the weather holds I might take it for a spin tomorrow and test it out again.

Comment

Working...
              X