Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement fuel tank for '85 GS450L - any of these work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement fuel tank for '85 GS450L - any of these work?

Below is what I found. I've listed year and model. Please let me know if any of these would be a direct replacement fit for my 1985 GS450L that has a leaky tank. Thanks.

1981 GS550L
    1983 GS650 (picture shows it on a cruiser style so probably a 650L
    1980 GS550L
    1982 GS750

Unfortunately I don't think any of them will fit. All of them have the single bolt rear mount, Yours has the two bolt mount??? You can go to www.bikebandit.com ( $327.00 new) and check tank mounting for some of the L models

Comment

Here is the ebay link to the '81 GS550L I saw. It appears to have the same 2 bolt mounting as mine. Any thoughts?

Actually, I just looked at the other auctions and all of them appear to be 2 bolt rear mounting. I guess the only question is whether they would line up and fit properly. Even if it didn't line up perfectly, could I just fabricate a bracket that would mate the new tank to the existing bolt pattern as long as it was still the 2 rear bolt style?

Comment

It does look like a very good possibility

Comment

I just emailed the seller to see if he would take some measurements for me so I can see how close it might be. Hopefully he will do it and get back to me quick.

Comment

To clarify
            1981 GS550L Maybe1983 GS650 (picture shows it on a cruiser style so probably a 650L Maybe
            1980 GS550L NO1982 GS750 NO

Comment

Took some mearsurements. Hopefully this helps get some ideas (these are approximate since tank is still on the bike)

Distance center-to-center between rear mounting bolts = 3.75"
              Width at rear of tank = 7"
              Width at widest point = 11.5"
              Overall Length = 20"
              Height at highest point = 8"

Comment

Found an excellent condition tank from an '86 GS450L. Should be here early next week and be an exact swap.

Comment

Working...
                X