What's the best header paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best header paint?

What have you used on your headers that lasted a long time and looked pretty decent? I used VH1 high temp paint a while back, but it seemed to fade pretty fast, and now it needs a repaint. I'm thinking about trying the eastwood paint but I haven't heard anything about it. It says it handles 1000 degrees, but the VH1 was supposed to handle 1200...

What have you used that you liked?

TIA,
    -=Tim=-

Re: What's the best header paint?

Originally posted by HiSPL
    What have you used on your headers that lasted a long time and looked pretty decent? I used VH1 high temp paint a while back, but it seemed to fade pretty fast, and now it needs a repaint. I'm thinking about trying the eastwood paint but I haven't heard anything about it. It says it handles 1000 degrees, but the VH1 was supposed to handle 1200...

What have you used that you liked?

TIA,
    -=Tim=-

I use Rustoleum Barbeque Grill paint.

Comment

The best is a ceramic coating of some sort. Check out this place http://www.prestigepowder.com/Peformance_Coatings.html

I've used the bbq paint before, and it works well for about a season, then I needed to repaint. The ceramic stuff has performance attributes too.

Comment

I guess I should have listed a budget in the original question...

I really don't need a $300 paint job on my $125 Mac headers... :roll:

I think I'll just stick to the VH1 stuff. I'll try black this time and see how long it lasts.....

Comment

To me, the biggest failure of painting headers is not doing a proper cure. I would hazard to guess most people paint, let dry, then go run the 24 hours of Le Mans.
          When I had my VW Baja bug, I painted the header I bought for it with some rattle-can stuff from Kragen. I sanded off what was left of the paint (if you can call it that) they use at the factory, along with the rust, and painted away. After installing it, I started the car, and let it run for 2 minutes, then shut it off for 10. Repeat the process, adding a few minutes to the running time, and let them cool between. After 3-4 times, the paint was properly baked on. It looked good when I sold it 6 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
            I guess I should have listed a budget in the original question...

I really don't need a $300 paint job on my $125 Mac headers... :roll:

I think I'll just stick to the VH1 stuff. I'll try black this time and see how long it lasts.....
            More blue Tim? LOL

Comment

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDvAo4VrRmLB9bdFNZnskLd0O6LB2Itd0AN5YKbocks5XR*7 4PJ3yGuIYmee8iqGbW4j9guZtLnkroH2!uuYYO1yhQhjqdtRfO e!JMF5k!P1KdIYIPe3Q/DCP_0477.JPG?dc=4675441724790316506[/img]

Comment

Tim, ya can't get rid of the blue headers...they're a tradition now!

Hap

Comment

It's a shame ... look how well they went with your bag and tarp!! 8O 8)

Comment

awesome blue headers. :P

Comment

I love the blue, stick with it.
                      Dink

Comment

Blue bomber sounds cooler than black bomber, heck black bomber is a 60's Honda 450!!

Comment

Working...
                        X