Do I need a new oil pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a new oil pump?

My oil light flickered and then came on steady on the way home today. Thankfully it was only a few blocks away. When I got home I checked the level, it was good. Then I fired up the bike, light was on. Now normally when the bike is running, on the center stand, the oil "window" drains to empty... however this time it was maybe 1/3 full, suggesting that the oil pump wasn't doing its job.

I'm going to try and borrow a pressure tester to test using the port near the oil fill area, but does it sound like I need a new pump?

thanks

-Warren

sounds like it

Sounds like it. I just checked mine, when running the sightglass is empty. Not sure of the internals but a couple alternative suggestions, loose pick up (sucking air), plugged pickup. Check the sending unit just to be sure....Mike

Comment

As it is a relatively simple matter to remove the sump and check the oil pickup, I would do this first, also try not to run the motor much at all if the pump isnt working you could do a lot of damage.
      Dink

Comment

It may very well be the pressure switch. They go bad more often than the oil pump. To be on the safe side do as Dink recommends and measure the tolerances of the pump. There is a measurement between the pump rotor tip and the pump case and a measurement between the pump cover and the side of the pump rotor. Look it up in your shop manual. If you don't have one, just let us know and we can get the data to you.

Hap

Comment

The tabs that drive the oil pump may have broken-- the oil pump is not turning. Have you done any recent clutch work???? DO NOT run the engine. If the oil pressure switch was bad the oil window would still empty when the bike was running

Comment

Working...
          X