APE Nut, whats better about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APE Nut, whats better about it?

Subject pretty much asks it, whats better about the APE nut for clutch sleeve hub nut?

Anyone out there weld their own rivets on the clutch backing plate? Would a flux core mig welder do the trick? I havent taken mine apart yet, but "its telling me to" heh.

I have an ape nut It is machined from billet something and i didnt see any significant diference except in how perfect it looked. Im not sure why I needed it. Maybe just to say I had it and $15 was cheap enough. Im just running a sreet bike and maybe for extra safety in high output engines it is necessary????

Comment

I had problems with the stock nut coming loose. The APE nut stopped that.

Hap

Comment

Hap
        how could the nut come loose if it has a special lock washer. I usually peen over in 2 places on that spot??
        Was the original one so sloppy?? I dont remember how the original fit because that was my first job on the Gs.

Comment

Both my 1100's had clutch hub nuts that were finger tight, even with the lockwashers, peened in three places in my case. APE nut fixes that.
          Dink

Comment

Scotty,

Exactly what Dink said. It was ALWAYS loose when I got in to the clutch assembly. The lock washer prevented major damage from occuring, but the nut was always loose. I'm guessing the closer machine tolerances of the APE nut help keep it from coming loose.

Hap

Comment

When I got my bike the nut was really loose and many of the splines had chipped off of the lock washer. Tightening that up stopped one heck of a clutch rattle and got me a good deal on the bike when I bought it.

Steve

Comment

Im wondering if the oem nut jumps threads ???

Comment

I was hoping someone might have took a look at the difference between the two nuts when they replaced it with the APE nut!

Comment

I think its a matter of softer steel. The stock threads on the nut stretch out with or without locking washer. The ape is better quality metal. That' all I know. Carter
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by mrb1962
                      I was hoping someone might have took a look at the difference between the two nuts when they replaced it with the APE nut!
                      They look the same except the APE nut has "APE" stamped on it. It's in the metal used and the machining tolerances.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                      X