Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo GS blowthrough setup- anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo GS blowthrough setup- anyone done this?

Hi there,
    I've decided that more power is never enough :twisted: , so I started building a turbo onto my 1166 kat-engined GS. I'll be using a blowthrough system on my standard carbs, with pressurized floatbowls, lowered compression and reinforced everything on the motor of course. I've a wrecker Yammi Seca turbo for the fuelpump, regulator, knock & boost sensor, full electronics, computer and wiring to put on it. I've had some great help from my US buddy Greg (thanks mate), but I was wondering if anyone out there has done a blowthrough on a GS in reality. Most info I can find is the usual Mr turbo drawthrough, which is more suitable for dragracing than the street.
    ANYTHING welcome.

Greetings, Marco.

Mr Turbo does blowthrough setups for later bikes so they would be good poeple to talk to.
    Ever considered swapping to injection?
    Dink

Comment

mr turbo

Hi Dink,
      Yes I did think about FI, but as I owned a couple of seca turbos that ran really well with carbs, I don't see the point spending mone on it. Besides, I'm a little expirienced at optimising carbs while I don't know anything about FI. I'd be into computers and remapping chips etc. Ooooh no! Let me get dirty fingernails.

Comment

I don't know anything about turbo's except they make this cool whistling sound but can I ride it when your done? :mrgreen:

Comment

RIDE???

Hey there's my buddy Robin,
          Asking to ride my bike is like me asking you if could use your girlfriend...
          But anyway, when you have the guts to ride it, you can. BUT let's get it on the road first!

Net als op de reclame: PROBEREN???? HOEZO PROBEREN?

Greetings, Marco.

Comment

Other than needing to switch to a non vacuum petcock, and running a fuel pump... Our carbs are almost perfectly setup for this anyway. The vent lines are already setup, so you could tie them into the airbox and have the whole carb properly pressurized.

Keep in mind, lowering compression isn't necessary as long as you setup the fueling properly. People are running hondas with 16psi of boost and 11:1 compression without exotic fuels.

Heck if you wanted to get kinky you could pressurize the gas tank as an alternative to running a fuel pump. Just be sure to let the turbo spin down before adding fuel. :-)

finally a legitamte use for our ugly as heck airboxes... I'd be willing to bet they'd hold up to 14psi..

I have had thoughts of turbocharging my bike. a rhb3 set to 5-6psi and a blow through setup. 750hp from a 550 ;-) just my kinda bike.
            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

airbox

Heh Nerobro,
              With high compression (mine is a wiseco 1166 1:10.25) the suzuki can't run much boost before detonation starts (ancient head design). Maybe the airbox can take 14 PSI but not the temperatures of the gas that can be anywhere between 100-250 degr. C.

Comment

Not realy booming with replies here... :roll:

Here's a bit of text I copied from Oldskoolsuzuki with a Dutch guy who sells turbo setups for the GSX-R

Robinjo says: "Hey 'gsxr1100turbo' GSX-R only? Not GSX?

The rollerbearing crankshaft doesn't need a lot of oil pressure so it has an lowpressure pump which doesn't deliver enough to the turbo's needs. You can solve that in a lot of ways:
                Use the aerodyne selflubricated unit, but they don;t seem to withstand a lot of abuse.
                Mount an external oilsupply by an geardriven or electrical pump.
                Upgrade the existing system to higher pressure.

Anyway, if you succeed then it still costs a LOT of money to make the engine strong enough to withstand 250+ HP

So, no kit for the GSX, I'm sorry.......

Best (more reliable and cheaper) solution is to drop in the GSXR engine (including carbs and ignition), and I'm more then happy to adapt the GSXR1100 kit to that configuration. First one to order a kit for this will get the install for free! (you should be able to get almost an engine for the amount you save)"

Peter Hinten TPS http://www.tp-systems.nl/

Comment

why not run a super charger instead of turbo, then you can totally by pass the oil issue.

maybe one of those harley super chargers can be modified to fit.

a guy by my house who works at a shop, has a sims i think? super charger he is planing on installing on his gsxr 1000 or maybe his gs750 motor for a chopper.

why does noone talk about using super chargers they seem just a complicated to fabricated and install as a turbo and give you the same end result.

-ryan
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

How do you drive a supercharger on a GS? Sounds like major fabrication to me.

Comment

They used to do this a lot to early Kawasaki 1000's and 900's which are remarkably similar in engine design to the GS. I know that doesn't answer how but it sure does tell you that it can be done.

I've got an article on it. If I could ever get a working scanner I would post it. :roll:

Comment

here is some more info

-ryan
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

supercharger?

You see guys, the pictures are the reason you don't use a belt driven supercharger on a GS. It's engine is already so whopping wide, you don't want extra width. I'm also going stealth, so I'll put the turbo under the seat between the sidepanels, run a pipe from the standard 4-1 collector up through the swingarm and exit with a nice seatpipe. Totally invisible but very much so noticable. As for the oil issue, back in the good old days the GS dragracers were running drawthrough Mr Turbo or ATC setups. They are not really for road use, only wanting to go fast and bad idling etc., that's why you need a blowthrought setup.
                          As for the oil issue, Mr. Peter Hinten, a simple change to GS750 oilpump gears is common and effective to upgrade oilpressure and flow to the turbo. The plenum (airbox so you will) will be made from carbon to accomodate the pressure. The block does need strengthening, but only HD studs, HD camchain and backplate on the clutch and lowering of compression are all you need to withstand 200 RWHP. Anyway, I don't WANT 250+ HP, 200 will do me just fine. BTW, upgrading to a GSXR unit (who are NOT better suited for turbocharging, everyone uses GS or Busa engines) is considered sacriledge by most GS owners!

Anyway, thanks for the pictures guys. I'll keep you posted on the project.

Comment

Working...
                          X