Block Heater in a GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block Heater in a GS?

Has anybody heard of, or know of, or can think of, any advantages or disadvantages of installing a block heater in a motorcycle engine? Would it help with a cold hearted bike? Or with cold weather starts? Or even if it is possible???? Not that I amplanning on doing any frozen lake riding, but it may help extend my riding season...

heater

I don't think you'd need an actual block heater, ( can't imagine on a on an air cooled) I would imagine a high wattage bulb or a halogen trouble light would work. Put it next to the oil pan since that travels thru the engine on start up.
    Just be careful you don't coke the oil (get it too hot).
    Personally, if it's so cold you need a block heater, I ain't gonna ride anyway :-)...Mike

Comment

I was thinking more on the lines of the type you plug in, to preheat the engine before starting. My old VW Rabbit diesel had on for the chilly winter mornings. I heated the oil (not at a high temp) and heated the block, allowing for easier starting...

Comment

I'd thought about this also as I was having trouble with the clutch plates sticking in the cold oil, that is until I changed to synthetic. You can get magnetic heaters to attach to the outside of the oil pan, but isn't the engine casing (correct me if I'm wrong here) aluminium, so they wouldn't stick.

Good idea though, keeping the oil warm would definately be an advantage in getting her started.

Comment

Maybe attaching a small metal plate to the oil pan, to attach the magnetic heater? Would this cause a hot spot on the pan when running? I don't think that a small plate would have any effect on air flow, if attached to the fins leaving some space under the plate (channels thru the fins)...

Comment

Just build a fire under it.

Comment

stick heater

I know the kind you mean but I would be worried about localized heating of the oil and burning it, maybe not a problem but......Mike

Comment

Personally, I would just switch to synthetic 10W40 for the winter. More importantly, get a battery tender and plug it in every night so that you know the battery will be nice and fresh in the morning.

I've started and ridden my bike at 0 degrees F (-18 C) with 20W50 synthetic. Starting, running, and shifting were no problem, and the clutch plates didn't stick, but the suspension was rock hard. I guess fork oil and shock oil don't like to be that cold!
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X