Dragging brakes remedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragging brakes remedy

I posted this the other day, and got notified of at least one response but never got to read it since the site went down. So thanks if you replied and here's the post again since it was lost...

All 3 of my brakes seem to be dragging to some degree. The discs are hot/warm to varying degrees after a ride. It is like 97 here currently, but that's not why...

Anyway, is there a fix, other than a rebuild to alleviate this? New grease on the front caliper axles? (what type?) Some kind of lube on the pins that hold the rear pads in place? perhaps just working the pistons in and out while off the bike?

Thanks!

Chris
    1982 gs850g

First thing I'd do is take them apart, clean and relube them and see how that goes.

Comment

The above certainly won't hurt. Since disc brakes have no way of retracting, they will usually just scim the disc surface all the times. Unless I'm not reading you on how bad they're dragging this might be what you're referring too. Won't hurt to take'm apart and clean things up tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
        First thing I'd do is take them apart, clean and relube them and see how that goes.
        what do you relube on the caliper--i am going to try to take mine apart in a few days and have a look??

Comment

Tony

Directly behind the brake pads, you will find a cylinder that moves in and out to push the pads against the disk/rotor. The cylinder moves in what looks like a very short barrel. Just take a spot of grease ( I like lithium hi temp grease, but plain old wheel bearing grease will do too) on your finger and smear a very thin coating inside the "barrel". You dont want much grease as you dont want it oozing and possibly getting on the rotors. A coating about equal to what you see when looking at an oilspot on the water is sufficient once you have cleaned the surfaces.

Earl

Originally posted by 1100ed
          what do you relube on the caliper--i am going to try to take mine apart in a few days and have a look??
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            Tony

Directly behind the brake pads, you will find a cylinder that moves in and out to push the pads against the disk/rotor. The cylinder moves in what looks like a very short barrel. Just take a spot of grease ( I like lithium hi temp grease, but plain old wheel bearing grease will do too) on your finger and smear a very thin coating inside the "barrel". You dont want much grease as you dont want it oozing and possibly getting on the rotors. A coating about equal to what you see when looking at an oilspot on the water is sufficient once you have cleaned the surfaces.

Earl

Thanks--is that theory or practice?

Comment

eh eh eh, we're having a special. Today and today only, they are the same. :-)

Earl

Thanks--is that theory or practice?
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
              X