Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Left On---What to do??

Hello!

Last year I installed a Pingle Petcock on my GS850G which is a great improvement over the stock Suzuki unit. However, it has one drawback. If you forget to turn it off after working on your bike late at night and don't discover your mistake until the next morning you have a flooded engine and gas all over the floor beneath your bike. (At least this is what I hear--not that it has ever happened to me!)

What do I do to clean this up? I have already changed the oil this morning and I saw no gas in it at all. What else do I need to do before starting this bike up? Do I drain the carb bowls or change the plugs also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Terry

if you flood the bike with gas. you get to do the 24 hour oil change. new filter and oil. leave the filter cover and fill and drain plugs out. let the fumes disapate over night. next day filler back up.

note your motor will not have any lube for a few seconds till the new oil starts pumping.

Comment

leak

Gremlins right, if you did fill the crankcase full of fuel. Just because you forgot to shut the petcock off doesn't necessarily mean you've filled the crankcase though.
      Think of the fuel petcock as a backup, mind you one you should always use, but if you don't, it's not the end of the world. If your float valves are working correctly the fuel should stop once the bowls are full. That's where shutting the petcock off comes in, IF the float valves are working, note the IF.
      By your own admission, I have already changed the oil this morning and I saw no gas in it at all, it sounds as if yours are ok..Mike

Comment

I use the stock vacuum petcock, but had to replace it when it failed to seal. Because of horror stories I've heard, at the end of every storage season I shake the rear wheel by hand on the centerstand and bump the tranny into top gear, then manually turn the engine a few revolutions with the rear wheel to ensure that there is no significant amount of liquid fuel in the cylinders. Liquid gasoline does not compress like air, and I don't want to damage engine or starter! If you suspect fuel may have filled your crankcase, assume fuel may have found its way into the cylinders, too.

Comment

Working...
        X