Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My rich carb problem is fixed , and the GS1100GK screams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rich carb problem is fixed , and the GS1100GK screams.

Wired George is brilliant. My rich carb problem was nothing more than a tired ignitor box that wasn't sending the proper amount of of voltage, or whatever it sends, to the new dyna coils. Wired her up direct per georges schematic and man this old girl now runs so good and accelerates so fast that it almost scares me. Guess I'll just have to live with it. She will do 75 before 3rd gear is halfway gone, and Im nowhere near the red line. Thats bad to the bone for and old 2 valve shafted dresser bike. I B HAPPY. Thanks GSResources. The Suzuki dealer wanted GSRs' web address. They were impressed with the fix. James Adams 1983 GS 1100 GKD

Glad she's fixed. I guessed it was the ignitor box. It was the only thing that made sense. It was also about the only thing you did'nt try before . I also recommended a Dyna ignition to eliminate the ignitor box but I'm glad you found another way and saved money.
    I did'nt know there was a way of re-wiring the existing wiring and eliminate the box, or is it eliminated? This would help others. You should share how it's done.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Lack of Spark

I'm glad I came across your posting as I was at my wits end. For the past 11 months I have been trying to sort out my carbs as they seemed to be jetted rich but when I put in smaller jets it ran worse and larger jets it ran about the same. To say I was frustrated is an understatement . I put on new coils got a jet kit all to no avail, until yesterday morning I was going through the tech section and I came across this posting. Everything in it was what I was experiencing, so I went to Canadian Tire and bought the parts for under $10 (Cdn) and today I put it together and took the bike out for a test run. Wow! I can't believe what a difference it made. I no longer have missing at 4.7 k rpm and it pulls no problem to redline. I have to thank you and twisted george for the fix. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Comment

"Twisted" George? You know something we don't?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yes, please share...

Dm of mD

Comment

I must be missing something. I can not for the life of me make that modification work that you guys are talking about. I followed the scematic to the T and now my bike doesn't even have a spark. What did I do? Ahhhhh!!!

Comment

This might be the coil wiring upgrade link in question. Just substitute GS where it says KZ Wiredgeorge rocks...http://www.kzrider.com/ignition_upgrade.shtml

Comment

Well I followed that scematic well enough I thought, maybe I've got my wires crossed - I'll have to recheck everything but I'm not getting any spark. But one thing I don't understand is this - if the coils are wired straight to the battery, what is the purpose of having ignition points? How do the coils know when to fire, or is it supposed to spark all the time? Sorry that I'm an electrical dimwit....

Comment

Originally posted by leslo
                  Well I followed that scematic well enough I thought, maybe I've got my wires crossed - I'll have to recheck everything but I'm not getting any spark. But one thing I don't understand is this - if the coils are wired straight to the battery, what is the purpose of having ignition points? How do the coils know when to fire, or is it supposed to spark all the time? Sorry that I'm an electrical dimwit....
                  If I remember right the pos. power is a constant supply and the coils are charged and collapsed using the negative. But I'm trying to remember my days with the sb chevy, probably the same by what I just saw looking at the schematic.

Comment

Also remember automobiles always had a resistor or resistor wire to cut the voltage down to 7 or 8 VDC after the engine started. Otherwise the points would burn up.

Comment

Are there cons ans well as pros to this approach? It looks pretty direct but am I putting anything at risk?

RG

Comment

Someone else on here might be more qualified than me to answer but I think if your ignition is points based, you might have to replace them quite often. Looks like this mod has been around for a long time so maybe someone with a points ignition can enlighten us I don't have a GS with points, or a service manual, so don't know if they ever used a resistor in run mode.

Comment

I have an 82 GK so my bike is very much like the bike originally described. It is without points.

Can I do this and just enjoy the ride?

R

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer
                            I have an 82 GK so my bike is very much like the bike originally described. It is without points.

Can I do this and just enjoy the ride?

R

Just did the mod on one of my 82 GKs. The trigger wire you need, hot from kill switch, is the orange/white on the corner of the 9 wire connector up near the coils. (other end of it powers the coils) You can double check by measuring the voltage while you toggle the kill switch. Couldn't get the connector seperated on mine, so just cut the wires going in. I ran my pos directly from the batt. pos. terminal and positioned my relay near the batt. Other than that, it's the same as the schematic listed for KZs in the link by KLACKO, I couldn't get to the other links. Auto Zone had the 30 amp relays in their fog light section. Thought I gained about 2 volts at the coils but didn't seem to make a difference. I'm running high output coils though.

Comment

Working...
                            X