should I replace fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I replace fork springs

My 83 gs1100gkd dresser has blown a front fork seal and the front forks always seemed a little too spongy evan after I filled the forks with the proper amount of fluid.(before the seal started leaking) Progressive suspension calls fo 35/50 springs for my gk, but I was wondering if I should go a little stouter or is the stock spring for this dresser bike good enough. I would like to order parts soon so PLEASE give me your advice.

New springs cant hurt, measure your sag, the distance between the seal cap and the lower triple clamp, with the bike on the centrestand & the front wheel jacked off the ground, now measure the same pace with the bike on its wheels with you sittihg on it . The difference is called "sag" if it exceeds 40mm then new springs are a good idea.
    Dink

Comment

Buy'em, you'll be glad you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
        Buy'em, you'll be glad you did.

NO doubt about it.

I used Progressive springs. I was having the bike certified for licencing, and the original springs were within requirements, but too weak to keep me happy, so I asked the mechanic to replace them with Progressives, and also asked him to install an bit longer spacer, which reduced the dive almost to nothing, with zero air added to the shocks.

It is more than a year later, and normal spring aging has taken place, but it still has little dive, and is easy to live with. I now add about 8 pounds of air in each fork, and will have to replace the spacer for next year.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron, just curious, why do you have to replace the spacer? To install a longer one?
          I recommend Progressive springs too. They work. They also come with a lifetime warranty.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Before I got mine I had the pre-load dialed up to full stiff and ran about 15 psi of air in the forks and they still felt crummy. With the Progressives, no air and no pre-load yet. Feels great.

Comment

There is a new set on e-bay now. I didn't see them when I looked up GS 1100, but was searching GS 550 & there they were. They are advertised to fit GS 550, 650, 1000, & 1100. It may be worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                Ron, just curious, why do you have to replace the spacer? To install a longer one?
                I recommend Progressive springs too. They work. They also come with a lifetime warranty.
                I just wanted to eliminate the need for playing with the air pressure in the forks. I figured if the new springs were set properly from day one, I would be OK. The shop is a small one and th eowner is a mechanic. He gave me a good price on the springs and did the installation for $50., while I was at work.

He worked out how much extra length was needed for spacers....or he took a pretty good guess...and it proved to be right.

The first day I drove with the new springs was like night and day......all sag and dive was gone, except with maximum braking.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Just put progressives in the FJ, fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!!!! I cannot believe the change in the ride, why didn't I do this a year ago. As for the spring rate, jsut go with what they suggest, even a 50# change in rider weight has little effect on the spring they suggest.

Kenny

Comment

Must be the fork tuning week.
                    I too worked on my front end, drained the oil inspected springs(I have progressive wound springs), seals and bushing.

I reassembled with a 5/8" preload spacer and filled with some hydrolic jack oil I had floating around the shop. This stuff is good at not foaming.(works well in my Mtn. Bike forks)

Anyway....... when I was done I had a new bike. The little efforts can mean so much.

Rico

Comment

Working...
                    X