Petcock Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Stuck

On my 1983 GS750e, the fuel petcock seems to be stuck. It wont turn at all, and it is on the "prim" setting. Is it common for them to seize up and is there something I can do ti fix it? Or should I just be looking at replacing it. Thanks!

The only thing that could be stuck is the "O" ring that seals it. My only idea would be try to spray WD-40 in there, then gently force the thing to move. Be sure you are turning it in the right direction. Petcock rebuild kits are available & work great, but if you break the little lever off !!!!

Comment

Mine did that when I got it. You can (as prev. stated) spray some WD40 into the seam around the lever, give it a couple minutes to soak in, then use a pair of pliers to move the sucker to ON or RES (Preferably reserve, see bad news to follow)

Unfortunatly, in my case and one other I've heard of the seizing meant that the whole apparatus was basically toast, and the petcock started to leak gas as if it was on pri, which made my carbs spew a puddle of gas on the floor every time I started. Blech.

Best best is probably a new Petcock. It's like 60 bucks if memory serves but it's so easy to replace and such a bitch to fix I felt it was worth it.

That and the gas smell gets a little irritating.

Comment

I have the older style petcock on my 79/850 which are easy to rebuild. On the later style BE very carefull with the internal spring. If their is any pitting inside the housing throw it away and replace it

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I went out and sprayed a little wd-40 in there and then I used pliers and it turned right away. I guess there really wasnt anything wrong with it, just a little stiff from not being used for so long.. THanks~

Comment

Glad to hear it's working again. Just be suspicious of it for a week or two until it's working 100%.

Comment

Working...
            X