She runs! but fuel gauge reads Full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She runs! but fuel gauge reads Full

Well after far too many years of sitting in the basement, my '79 1000E is running again! To make a long story short, the movers dropped her off the side of the moving van many moons ago...and she sat for a while before I rebuilt her. When I fired her up finally this afternoon, the fuel gauge was reading fully pegged Full. Is this indicative of an open circuit between the sender and fuel gauge regulator, or open circuit between the gauge regulator and the gauge? Or perhaps maybe the float is just hung up...guess I could wiggle it tomorrow....

I rewired the headlight circuit to include relays and bigger wiring, so I had the wiring harness out from the headlight all the way back to the frame (by the coils). I was pretty careful rewiring but perhaps missed a connection.........thanks

a fall like that could have bent and jammed the float arm, or a dead short in the yellow with black stripe wire will do it also, power is sent through the gauge down to the sending unit in the tank, the higher the resistance the lower the gauge shows, a dead short to ground will cause the neelde to be pegged past full.

Comment

The guage on my 78 GS1000 was only good for looking at to see what guess it would make next about how full the tank was. I don't expect it would improve with being dropped, but it may!

Otherwise try checking the connections, There are specs in the manual for resistance.

Comment

(turns on Homer Simpson voice)

DOH!!! I had plugged the fuel sender in backwards. Both wires on the sender side are black...

Seems like I vaguely recall doing the same thing many years ago...durned short-term memory loss....where was I?

Comment

Working...
        X