Dropped my bike - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped my bike - question

Note to self: don't take the bike off the center stand unless I'm on it.

OK, stupidity aside, I dropped my bike (85 ga550e) on it's right side today when I was leaving work. I didn't drop it hard. I was able to hold on to the left grip and kind of "ease" it to the ground. It was there for probably 2 minutes until I could find a passer-by to help me get it back up. I put it back on the center stand and gathered myself (was just slightly pi$$ed). After that I noticed some gas dripping from below the airbox. I couldn't see if it was from the airbox or not. I'm assuming that was the origin, though, as I let it drip for another minute or so, then started it. After a few tries it started. I let it idle for a few more minutes and the drip slowed. I then decided to ride it for a mile or so and check it again. I stopped and checked and the drip had stopped. My fiel gauge didn't register any chance in fuel level, either. I rode it home with no problems. Am I correct in assuming it was from fuel getting out of the carbs and into the airbox, then dripping from the airbox? Thanks!

it was just fuel from the bowls spilling out into the air box, it will be ok, althogh some times a float will shift and stick.

picking up a bike is not hard if done correctly ,I came across a site that has a petite woman who teaches how to pick up a bike, she demonstrates picking up a kawasaki concourse.
    I will see if I can find it.

Comment

Don't feel bad about having the bike go over. I firmly believe that anyone who says they have never had their bike go over in a similar manner is shading the truth.

I certainly have....as recently as two weeks ago...and I was on it!

As Leon mentioned, you usually don't need help to pick it up, even if you are fairly small in size.

The key is to use leverage to your maximum advantage.

Simply stated, get your arse under it.

Stand beside the bike, facing away from the bike, bend at the knees and grab whatever strong and fixed part of the bike that is available. (The seat, for instance, is not fixed, except by a small lock, and it will usually give before the bike comes up.)

Once you have a firm grip, straighten your knees slowly and, as the bike comes up, walk backwards. Once it is up you can turn and mount it.

Yes, even if you know that trick, there will still be times when you NEED help to get the bike back up. I did last time, as the sand I was on was deep, and the ground under it sloped away downhill, so when the bike went over it ended not just on its side, but tilted downhill about 20 to 30 degrees, and partly resting on wet grass.

And, just for the record, my going over was something to see, as my foot sank into the sand, then slipped completely away onto the grass, under the shifting weight of the bike. When I jumped off the falling bike, I landed properly....feet first...but on the wet grassy slope, so I had no footing and fell, flip-flopping downhill for 15 to 20 feet.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Hehe, sounds like the opposite of what happened to me. Out in Yuma, when I came around a corber and noticed the road was washed out with sand. I slowed the 1100E down and came to a stop, almost to the hubs in sand.

Got off the bike, and it just stood there, held up by the sand. Had hell getting it out of that sugar sand. A guy came along on a dual sport Beemer, and we tied our belts off our pants between them, and he pulled it backwards out with his bike.

Quite a day. We rode together the rest of the day, and I bought him dinner.

Comment

I have also been told that you should put the bike in gear before picking it up. That way the bike wont roll away on you as its being lifted.

Comment

depending which side you are picking it up from Put the side stand down so it doesn't go over the other way

Comment

I had a demo lifting a GL1100 from this little old guy - involves using the handle bars as a lever. Usually when a bike falls over, the front wheel is pointing 'into' the ground, and most people stand at the 'bottom' of the bike (i.e. where the wheels are) and get a hernia tugging and heaving on whatever they can grab. Just stand at the 'top' of the bike (i.e. same side as the seat, tank etc), turn the handlebars so the front wheel is pointing 'up', use the lower handlebar end to lift the bike up and there you go.

Comment

Yeah, we were jusst talking about her the other day. Her nickname is 'skert' and she demos dropped bike pick-ups with a BMW. Here is her site: www.pinkribbonrides.com

Comment

Working...
                X