Clutch..750 and 1000cc bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch..750 and 1000cc bikes

Did Suzuki put the same size clutch on a 750 as the 1000's? Pre-80's models....ne one?

Re: Clutch..750 and 1000cc bikes

No, the clutch on the 750 for 1977 through 1979 is different from the clutch on 750's 1980 and later. Neither of them will fit any of the GS 1000 models which also used two different clutch assemblies for those years.

Earl

Originally posted by mrb1962
    Did Suzuki put the same size clutch on a 750 as the 1000's? Pre-80's models....ne one?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well, I'd better not try this for the 1000 then! Thanks Earl

Comment

Re: Clutch..750 and 1000cc bikes

Originally posted by earlfor
        No, the clutch on the 750 for 1977 through 1979 is different from the clutch on 750's 1980 and later. Neither of them will fit any of the GS 1000 models which also used two different clutch assemblies for those years.

Earl

Originally posted by mrb1962
        Not to hijack the thread, but just because it may be more useful to keep it one thread, I've got to do a clutch swap this winter, and it's the first time I've done this on the Suzi, so I just looked up Barnett.

For the GS750 they list the same plates and clutch kit (I presume plates and springs) part numbers, but for the springs, they list springs MT-21-6 for 1982 - except for E and ES models (mine's an E). For the E in 1983 they list spring part number MT-9-4.

But my bike is an 82 E, which I thought was the last year.

Now I'm totally confused

Would I be right in assuming:

a. Barnett is the best choice for clutches ?

b. Best to put a new basket in at the same time, but this has to be a stock Suzuki item ?

What is the gang's recommendations for the best plate, spring, basket combination for a 1982 GS750E for general road use, not hard riding ?

I'm not worried about money, unless it's real silly

Pete

Comment

I used a Barnett clutch pack, but got a new basket from Vance and Hines. I don't know if they're still doing clutch baskets, their web site only shows pipes, unless there's a different site. I bought my basket many years ago. They said they could sometimes reuse the old stock one, but mine was too worn...with only 10,000 miles on it, believe it or not.

PS I wouldn't buy another stock Suzuki basket. The aftermarket ones are welded.

Comment

FWIW, If your just street riding then you don't need anything heavy like the barnett plates. I used vesrah plates and springs and haven't had any trouble with them. I ride hard too. I've had them for about 20,000 miles and they are still going strong. This is 5-6 days a week of city commuting too. Plus hard launches and lots of parking lot clutch slippage....

Comment

Yep that's probably the one complaint I've got with the Barnetts, the clutch darn near wears my hand out in stop and go traffic due to the stiff springs.

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
                Yep that's probably the one complaint I've got with the Barnetts, the clutch darn near wears my hand out in stop and go traffic due to the stiff springs.
                I've heard of using three Barnett springs and three stock springs for a good balance between lever pull and clutch friction.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Don't forget to lube the clutch cable, you'll be surprise.
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                  X