Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Redneck Mod.

Hey ya'll,
    I just got back from a trip to Ohio (6 hours of riding each way and loved it) but decided about 2 days before I went that I was not gonna ride that far without some highway pegs on the 450L. Needless to say, my little cheap college budget and some Virginia redneck inginuity and I had some $5 highway pegs. I took some threaded rod and ran it in the holes that are in the front motor mounts and drew 2 nuts with lock washers on either side. Works great and cheap to boot! Who else has a redneck mod on their bike?

Pics?!

Comment

if I had a server to put them on I would show some, but since this forum doesn't support uploading of pics, my hands are kinda tied

Comment

the previous owner of my bike suggested that because he couldnt acquire a choke cable (he thinks tehy're....out of existence) that a coathanger suffices JUUUUUUUst fine for activating the choke. boy oh boy.

Comment

Re: Most Redneck Mod.

Originally posted by WesV
          ...... I took some threaded rod and ran it in the holes that are in the front motor mounts and drew 2 nuts with lock washers on either side. ........
          Just a note (and sorry to pee in your kornflakes) but be really careful replacing bolts with threaded rod.
          The steel in the rod is very soft and has very little strength.
          Have you thought of going to a fastener store and looking for a long bolt or shoulder bolt of the right size? I've seen them over a foot long and they would surely work.

Comment

Re: Most Redneck Mod.

Originally posted by dwarf8

Just a note (and sorry to pee in your kornflakes) but be really careful replacing bolts with threaded rod.
            The steel in the rod is very soft and has very little strength.
            Have you thought of going to a fastener store and looking for a long bolt or shoulder bolt of the right size? I've seen them over a foot long and they would surely work.
            No problems! I didn't replace any bolts! There are two large holes in the center of the triangular shaped mounts. It was through these that the rod was placed and not through any wieght or stress supporting holes.

Comment

ok this is my red neck mod!!!

heck the bike allready has a shaft, so I added the jewels to go with it!!

Comment

I have a dyna S ignition in my 1150, which requires clearance for a bolt that goes in the end of the crank shaft. So the previous owner put a hole in the cover so you could look down and see the crank turning. While entertaining, I ride in the rain, water and electronics don't play well together. So I'm looking around my barn for a suitable plug, that still allows the clearance that's needed. The perfect item? A Guinness bottle cap, and a little JB Weld. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                  So I'm looking around my barn for a suitable plug, that still allows the clearance that's needed. The perfect item? A Guinness bottle cap, and a little JB Weld. 8)
                  You didn't use the Guinness to scrub down the metal so the JB Weld would stick, did you?

That's what Coors is for.

Dave

Comment

No, doing that modification is thirsty work, and I had to find just the right cap, it's not my fault I messed up the first few caps. I just kept popping them off the bottles until I got the perfect one.

mmmmm beer

Comment

Exhaust bolt fix

Broke of an exhaust bolt once and fixed it for a while using a u bolt clamped to the frame and one side of the bolt through the header and used a couple of extra nuts to push the header on to the bike till I could get around to drilling it out a fixing it right.

Worked great for a year.

Comment

I broke a header bolt and just left it that way.... 8O

If I bottom out, it will knock the header out enough to cause a leak...

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                          ok this is my red neck mod!!!

heck the bike allready has a shaft, so I added the jewels to go with it!!

That anti-photo stuff on your plate works great!! .

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Comment

He used the industrial sized bottle of White-Out and a 2" brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
                              He used the industrial sized bottle of White-Out and a 2" brush.
                              ultra high temp header paint, it was all I had.

Comment

Working...
                              X