Bike started! When to tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike started! When to tune?

I started my bike on Sunday - GSX1100 with new rings, hone, refreshed head. Turned it over without the plugs for about 30 seconds. Put the plugs in and turned her over. The oil light went out after about 5 revolutions and she fired shortly after. The carbs were completely dry, so it took a little while for it to run properly, but I didn't need to hit the starter again.

How long should I run it in before getting it tuned? I set the timing and idle mixtures by guesswork. I can problably set the idle without too much trouble. I'm not too confident with the spark timing or carb balancing - I have a very good motorcycle mechanic about 300metres from my house and I was going to get him to set those.

After 18 months off the road I am surprised at how easily it started and how well it runs. It is a bit flat (missing) off idle, but once it hits about 3000rpm it really wakes up 8O .

tune

Do the timing asap cause you can overheat the engine if its way off, carb sync. next but be sure that it is getting plenty of air over the engine while this is being done (ie elec. Fans) take it for a short hop and then check the plugs, just don't get it over heated while doing all of this, did you change any thing that would require rejetting? if so address this asap also

Comment

the 80 1100e has electronic ignition, very very little timing adjustment available, it is basically fixed, but a degree or two is possible.

Comment

Yes, there is not much to play with, so I'm not too worried about that. I think I'll just get the idle right and wait till I've got about 500km on it before getting it tuned.

Comment

Adjusted the idle last night and it made a huge difference. Turned the mixture srews in about 3 or 4 turns each to get the highest idle - it must have been very lean. Rides like a dream at low throttle settings now. Man I've missed having a bike

Comment

Working...
          X