Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Charging Woes

This is driving me nuts...
    From a brand new battery that reads 12.7V cold, a replaced stator, and replaced R/R (both used), I still have absolutely NO increase in voltage while the bike is running, either at idle or 5000 rpms.

The voltage reads about 12.00 - 12.01 while it's running (that's an improvement since I replaced the RR and stator) which jumps up to 12.12 or so when I take out the signal light fuse (is that significant or just common sense?).

When I measure resistance across the 3 leads from the stator, I get a nice consistent 1.4ohm, just like it says you should in the stator papers - but when the bike is running, when I should be getting 80V AC acrsoss the pairs of leads, I'm only reading 2-3?!?!

I bypassed the wiring harness by connecting the 3 leads from the stator directly to the R/R plug, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference...

I love my GS but I'm ready to go JP (justifiably postal). Can anyone shed some light?

charge

if your not getting the ac volts at the stator then you still have a bad stator. used electrics are a bad deal in most cases!

Comment

Yup, the stator is poo.

My condolences.

If the R/R is from the same donor bike, it's probably also poo, but do the diode checks to see.

It's up to you whether Electrex is too expensive or you want to try again with used parts.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Re: More Charging Woes

Well Yes. You replaced a faulty stator and R/R with a faulty stator and R/R.
        Sometimes, you get a little "free" milage by going with used electricals, but the downside is when they do die, youre usually 60 miles out in the country at 2 am. I would replace them both with new parts. Electrex isnt cheap, but I dont like hiking through 60 miles of cornfields in the dark either.

Earl

Originally posted by fast eddie

I love my GS but I'm ready to go JP (justifiably postal). Can anyone shed some light?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Measure the stator wires to ground you should get an open/no reading
          if you get a reading you may have pinched a wire when installing the stator cover Like I did It's hard working in the dark :roll:

Comment

Thanks for all the replies - don't worry, I know what I'm getting into with used electricals...! Thing is, I figured I had a good stator when I got those nice consistent resistance readings across the pairs of leads.

So I should get no reading btwn each stator wire and ground? I'll try that one.

Speaking of grounds, I measured resistance btwn my battery -ve terminal and a bare spot on the frame and got zero. Well, 0.7 but pretty close to zero. Is that the right way to check that the ground is okay, and in this case, does that sound okay?

Comment

It depends on your meter, it should be fine. Disconnect the stator wires and recheck the AC voltage between the wires Not from ground

Comment

Working...
              X