1982 Gs 650 Gl electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs 650 Gl electrical problems

Can anyone give me any ideas, I have gone through my electrical with a fine tooth comb, but cant seem to find the problem, The problem Im having is I turn the ignition to on, and the headlight fuse blows, If I put a 15 amp fuse inplace of the 10 amp, then the main 15 amp blows, sounds like a direct short, but heck if I can find It. If anyone has any Ideas of what it might be, please let me know. Thanks. Judd

You tested the rectifier and stator outputs? I bet you are getting too high a voltage. Happened to my 650G, and took a rectifier to fix.

The good news: damn near any rectifier from a big bike will work.

Comment

DJ -- it sounds like the bike isn't even running when the fuse blows (it blows as soon as he turns the key), so could it still be a R/R problem? I guess you could get a short through there if it really went kerblooey.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If it blows the light fuse the problem is in the lights. CHECK all of the lights, unplug them, plug them in one at a time until the fuse blows DON"T use a bigger fuse. It could also be the light switch or the turn signal switch, turn signal module if equiped. I would NOT suspect the reg at this time

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          DJ -- it sounds like the bike isn't even running when the fuse blows (it blows as soon as he turns the key), so could it still be a R/R problem? I guess you could get a short through there if it really went kerblooey.
          Oops, missed that. I thought it started, then blew. Gotta read more closely.

Comment

On the road again! Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up using a power probe, and was able to pin point the problem, It ended up being the speedometer display light power wire was pinched just behind the back plate of the speedometer. JJudd.

Comment

Working...
            X