79 GS850G Signal lights out on right side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850G Signal lights out on right side

Hi. I wondered if I could draw on the vast experience here. My newly acquired "queen" runs like a charm, but I'm challenged to get the signal lights operating properly. The bulbs are good and I think the flasher must be okay(left works). I've heard the self cancel module is sometimes suspect. Any advice?

Thanks

Check the bulbs and check the ground circuit. Otherwise module is probably F*** . Hard to find part. You need to convert it to manual turn signals. I'm doing it to my bike today. 79GS850 I will let you know

Comment

Thanks for the insight Lynn....I figured it would be either the module or the switch based on my tests so far. Mechanically I'm okay with repairs, electronics...not so much!!

Comment

I would pull apart the head light bucket just to see if there are any disconnected (hmm, what's that word?) connections If your bike has a regular two-wire car blinker set-up I wouldn't think that is the problem and I really discourage you changing to manual blinkers as a car set-up would only require one or two more wires.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve...a fellow canuck, and I lived in Sudbury for many a year as well. I'll have another look for a bad connection. The headlight bucket is already apart...the bike has an OEM Suzuki full fairing. Thanks.

Comment

The module you need is specific to the 78-79 GS850/1000?? It is hard to find and expensive, if you can find a good one. I think they misunderstood what I ment by converting it to manual turn signals. Here's what I did to convert to manual turn signals on my 79 GS850 On the 4 wire plug (that the module plugs into) Tie the black/white to the Black and tie the green/white to the green. This ties the front and rear turn signal system together, they are normally isolated by the Module. On the turn signal switch, disconnect the orange wire from the center pin of the switch and hookup one side of the flasher to the orange wire. Add a length of wire from the other terminal of the flasher and connect to the ts switch. RE route wires as needed. NOTE When you disconnet the orange wire from the ts switch ,connect a 2ft length of wire to the orange wire that you disconnected and pull the new wire through the wire loom and you will have two wires to connected the flasher to and mount it out of the way.At this point you can operate the turn signals by holding the switch on. The other option would be to find Turn signal/horn/lights switch that has a positive on and off switch. I used one that was from a 79GS750??? that I bought on ebay. Had to dissamble the replacement switch assembly and rewire it for my bike.

Comment

Lemme guess, if you listen closely when you turn on the faulty turn signal you can hear a buzz coming from under your gas tank??

If you do, I had this same problem on my bike, I replaced the relay (cheap) and the blinkers worked for about a dozen turns on each side, I slowly lost the right, then lost the left.

So instead of going any deeper into the electrical system I took it in. I told them I replaced the relay and it didn't do the trick.

After two weeks they called, and said "we found it!" followed by "your relay was bad, we replaced it, and it works"

Well, I told them again, I had already doen that, but I think they did a little better job. I'm not convinced that was the problem but my blinkers have worked for a week now.

The lesson is if you replace the relay, redo the wiring very carefully and patiently, be sure of good connections.

Let me know if you find out the real problem, I'm just waiting for mine to blow again.

Comment

Mine gave no response to the right signal switch. No noise, no light on the I.P., nothing. Traced it with my test light to the module weeks ago. I finally found a replacement used module today at Ontario Cycle Salvage in Toronto(great guys to deal with). I installed it this afternoon and presto! the signals work like a charm.

Take care

Comment

Working...
                X