Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb fuel intake line mod. Will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb fuel intake line mod. Will this work?

I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs off a '76 GS750. When I took the carbs off and separated them the fuel lines and the fuel inlet 'T' all broke. They were in pretty poor repair to start and they just crumbled. I've been having trouble finding replacement parts as these particular pieces are discontinued.

What I want to know is if I were to split the fuel line coming off the gas tank then run a separate fuel line to each of the carbs would the carbs still work properly? From what I understand it's the floats that maintain the proper fuel levels in each of the carbs. The fact that the fuel chambers are connected seems irrelevant. If I simply sealed one side of the #2 and 3 carbs then ran separate lines to each it should work the same. And more importantly I can fab the attachments myself.

sounds like it could work!

Comment

CHeck with Rob? www.motorcyclecarbs.com I understand he can make you a new fitting It is not cheap but probably the best bet other than getting another set of carbs from eBAY

Comment

I wonder if you could find something at a hardware store, maybe in the plumming section?

Comment

That is what I was thinking, mabye a small brass elbow. The trouble is with the double o-rings. But I think it may be possible to simply glue in a new fitting, mabye with metal epoxy. It would be permant but that shouldn't cause any problems.

Comment

I've been through this recently while rebuilding a members carbs. The "T" and tube fittings with the rubber coating and "built in" o-rings are hard to find in good condition that won't leak. The other design, with the seperate o-rings are the preferred parts and if you need o-rings for them, Robert Barr, a member here, sells them.
            Some junk yards have "parts carbs" that they will let you take apart and look for some good ones. That's how we fixed our carbs.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X