85 mph, or more ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 mph, or more ??

My GS 450E reads only 85 mph on the speedometer, I can quickly take there, but I haven't try to push it farther, since I can't speed past 85. Has any one change speedometers and push pass 85 ?. If so what's the fastest the GS 450 goes ?. Otherwise I'm going to try with different speedometer to see how fast I can go. Whish me luck I'll needed.

In good nick and the right conditions I believe you should get mebbe 100 MPH.

Comment

it's a speedometer not a governor!!
      mine did only go to 85 but the bike goes way faster than that!!!

Comment

With the stock sprocket sizes I pretty much top out at 91 mph. I stripped the tach and speedo off and applied a bicycle computer, so I am not 100% sure there isn't any more to get from it. But if so I'd need A LOT of road. 90.5-91 took probably 30sec to a min to achieve

Remember these bikes are at least 12 years old with single discs up and drums out back, please be careful....

Comment

Go as fast as the bike will go, in hi gear. Look at the tach, to see the rpm, then run your bike, still in hi gear at exactly 1/2 that rpm & look at your speedometer, now double this speedometer reading & that will be your top speed. If 4000 rpm is 45 mph. 8000 rpm will be 90 mph. as long as you do it in the same gear.

Comment

Instead of going to the hassle of replacing your speedo, why not just add-on a bicycle computer? There are threads in this forum about doing that and apparently they're relatively accurate, as well as small, light and cheap.

Comment

Yes, I use a SIGMA SPORT BC1200 bike computer on my 1100. It's very accurate and has useful features when touring, such as average speed and all. I bought it for $20 from a Schwinn pedalbike shop. You may need the longer sensor cord ($6).

Comment

Working...
              X