Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of tach cable from engine

Hey,

I have a tach cable that snapped about three inches from the engine and I'm trying to figure out how to disconnect the cable from the engine side. I unscrewed the piece that holds the cable in place on the engine and removed the rest of the cable, but can't seem to figure out how to get that little piece to let go. I didn't want to pull too hard on it for fear of damaging something. Is there something holding it in place that I'm missing? I feel like this should be simple. Thanks for the help!

--Tyler

I'm pretty sure it just pops out, but there's an o-ring to seal it, so it may be pretty tight.

Comment

Yeah, just pull on it , it should come out. You will drip a little oil when you get it out

Comment

There's a screw that holds a plate that notches into the side of a circular thing (how's that for technical descriptions?) that the cable goes into. I've removed that screw/plate before, and the circular thing just rotates around, making it seem that that's not threaded. From what I understand, that's the piece with the o-ring.

However, I unscrewed a slightly smaller circular thing from the bigger circular thing - a piece that seemed to clamp the cable down. Do I need to take the whole assembly off to get the cable out?

I could post a pic or two if I'm confusing you guys with my incredible descriptions.

--Tyler

Comment

Also, what's a decent price for a new tach cable?

--Tyler

Comment

The round piece that just rotates will pull straight out if you pull hard enough on it, however you don't need to remove it to get the tach cable out.

Once you have unscrewed the tach cable from the round piece the cable should pull directly out, there is only a small tab that fits inot a slot in the round piece.

Comment

I had to do this same job last winter. I think the new cable was about $15 from Bike Bandit. I also replaced the two O-Rings. These are in the part that's secured with the screw and tab. If you see any oil in this area, it can be a good idea to change the O-Rings at the same time. I think they cost about $4.

And yes. The cable just pulls straight out. The gear housing (with the O-Rings) also pulls straight out. It can take a good hard pull to get it out.

Comment

Working...
              X