I just can't stop talking about it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just can't stop talking about it!

Hopefully everyone isn't getting annoyed by my constant chatter of my new purchase of the 83 1100E. But since I pick it up tomorrow, I'm trying to get a few ducks in order with my carry along tool kit:

1. Does this bike still use glass bus type fuses like my 81 model?

2. Are the bulbs all the same? Mostly the headlight?

3. This bike has individual K&N pod filters. I've heard they can cause a problem in the rain. Is this true? If so, can I do anything to help this problem?

4. The bike has a 530 chain conversion. What is the advantage of the 530 chain (if any)?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I don't use pod filters........ but from what I have read on this site, they only tend to absorb water when not oiled properly. If they are clean and oiled properly, they should cause no problems.

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

I've had no problems using pods in the rain, and have had them on 2 different bikes.
      The 530 conversion will give you better theoretical acceleration, not sure if it amounts to much. I also gives you a larger selection of chains. The only down side is longevity, but some may argue that, and I can't be sure. I know that a 530 Parts Unlimited o-ring chain on my 700 stretched a lot more then my current RK SO630 chain. May just be a name brand thing, but I think it has to do with it being bigger too.

Comment

May just be a name brand thing, but I think it has to do with it being bigger too.
        Quality of chain makes a big difference. I went the cheap route the first time I changed chains - it didn't last a season. I went with a high quality chain the second time & I've only had to adjust it twice in 12000 miles. Your 1100 will stress any chain more than my 750, but a high quality 530 chain should last at least 25000 mi if properly maintained.

Terry

Comment

My 83 GS1100 uses the modern plug in fuses, not the old style glass fuses.

This bike originally used a 630 chain because they were stronger than 530 chains. Supposedly the new 530s are as strong as the old 630s were. The main advantage to the 530 conversion is availability of chain and lower cost. I will probably stick with my 630 chain and sprokets.

Don't worry about the pod filters, they will work OK rain or shine IF the carbs are properly jetted for them. And they make it a hell of a lot easier to tinker with the bike.

Nice bikes, the GS1100s.

Comment

The bike runs flawlessly with the pods. The guy who owned it before went through two pipes and a bunch of jetting to get it that way.

Slot fuses? Yes! That is good news to me. I can't stand those glass fuses.

Anyone know if the bulbs are the same as the earlier 80's models?
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

first timer has trouble in the rain with his pod filters because the rain runs off his tank right into one or two of the pods ... but he has a 550 with a different tank then your 1100 so it's possible you won't experience any of his particular issues with your pods.

If you do, the simple solution is to fabricate some deflector shields that will direct rain away from the pods ... problem solved.

Regards,
              Steve 8)

Comment

Jeff,
                I changed my 1000S, you've seen it, this year to a 530 chain and sprockets. Noticable difference. I've made one adjustment in a couple of thousand miles. It wasa very simple conversion.
                It's under preformance mods
                If it's a good quality, say a DID or RK, not a JCWHitney brand chain, with
                normal maintenance should last as long.
                You ride hard, not drag strip style launches, but like twisting the throttle
                it should last no problems.

My 83 1100E still has the 630 chain.
                If Sharon and I decide to keep this bike, yes I have 2 (so far)
                I maye convert it also over the winter. Otherwise it will stay stock.
                The only change may be a small windshield and case guards.

The 83 uses the blade style fuses, the 80 still Buss type.
                I'd like to change the whole electrical system on the 80.
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

In regards to your light question.
                  Here it is out of my 83's owner's manual:
                  Headlight: 12V 60/55W
                  Tail/Brake light: 12V 8/23W
                  Front turn signal light: 12V 8/23 W
                  Rear turn signal light: 12V 23W
                  License plate light: 12V 8W
                  Speedo, tach,Neutral,Hi beam and turn signal indicator lights: 12V 3.4W
                  Fuel meter and oil temp: 12V 2W

Hope that answers that question.
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Hopefully everyone isn't getting annoyed by my constant chatter of my new purchase of the 83 1100E.
                    I know exactly how you feel Jethro:-D

Comment

Congrats on the purchase . . . ride safe
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X