Will Electrex Regulator Fix Probs Before It Happens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Electrex Regulator Fix Probs Before It Happens

Not to sound too dumb but I keep seeing all these posts about electrical problems and was thinking if I changed the regulator and not the stator would that be a good fix ,or do I need to change both components. I just wondered if a good original stator was good with the new regulator and would be ok after that. From the sounds of it all Suzuki built the regulators incorrectly,
    Rob

If your system is currently working There would be no reason to change it, Just do as the posts have mentioned Clean the connections & add an extra ground

Comment

A good R/R is a good R/R.

A good R/R is a good R/R. Just keep the connections clean as stated earlier. If anything you should wory about the stator. If all is well and you are still lower than 14v. at 5k rpm then a stronger stator is in order.

Comment

Nobody changes a light bulb before it burns out, except this 'bulb' would cost you a couple of hundred $$$. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

No, wait; buy Electrex, replace yours, and give the still-working one to me...

Comment

Ok Fast eddie I'm all over it , give me your address. I'm on the phone to Electrex as we speak. :P Seriously though, I just like to get to a problem before it nips me in the butt. Thanks gang I do appreciate the info. 8)
          Rob

Comment

If everyting specs OK and you have clean contacts and have done the extra ground wire modification, then I suspect you're OK. However, I also know folks who have gone with an Electrex or Honda R&R unit with success. I do think that the R&R unit is the weakest of the two components. It seems that a bad R&R can ruin a stator, but the reverse is not true, or at least not as likely. Of the two, the easiest to replace is the R&R unit. A less-expensive alternative to the Electrex unit is to use a Honda R&R unit. I have one on my 1100 and it works very well.

Comment

If the stock R/R is still OK, just run a nice big ground wire from the mounting bolt directly to the negative post on the battery and you'll be fine.

Before I ever saw the stator papers, I added the ground wire after seeing that the R/R is grounded to the battery carrier frame. Which is rubber-mounted, and thus not really in contact with the rest of the bike...WTF???? My R/R went from too hot to touch to barely warm after this.

And solder those stator connectors, too. Don't even try leaving the snap-together terminals. My bike's fine now, but the plastic around the stator connectors was hard and blackened from overheating over the years.

While you're at it, make sure all the other electrical connectors you can reach are clean and tight. If you see the dreaded green of corroded copper, chase it down and replace the affected wiring ASAP.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Someone somewhere suggested that you might want to check and see if there's adequate airflow to the R/R for good heat dissapation. If not, modify the location to get more cooling.

Comment

I guess I should mention that I have the stock R&R unit in my 850 with clean contacts and the extra ground wire. It is running fine even though the stator is weak.

Comment

Working...
                  X