Stupid Question, I'm Sure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Question, I'm Sure.

Now that the bike is fixed, and I'm getting ready to put it back together. However, I want to replace all those d@mn phillips screws on the crank case. Now I need to know 1) if this is possible, and 2) do I need to get the parts from a motorcycle dealer or can I get them from my local hardware store?

Usually you can find a set of allen head screws on ebay

Comment

Yeah, but I've had bad luck with allen screws too. I want hex bolts.

Comment

My 1100 has flanged hex head bolts. I get replacements at local hardware stores. You should not need to get them from a motorcycle dealer. If you do you will pay six times their worth, for sure.

Comment

The absolute best place to get them is at a distributor that specializes in bolts. In Denver I take a handfull of my old bolts into "Metric Bolt Supply' and the guy at the counter will match them up with hex head of my choice - even stainless steel. The prices are rock bottom also. As mopolopo stated, if you go though your motorcycle dealer expect to pay, and pay dearly.

Sometimes they don't have an exact match for length. In this case I buy the longer one and cut it off with a hack saw to the desired length. If you do this, make sure you have a nut threaded on the bolt first. Then when you remove the nut, it cleans the threads. A touch up on the grinder to smooth the rough edges and it's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by TookiTooki
            Yeah, but I've had bad luck with allen screws too. I want hex bolts.
            What problem have Allens given you? The only "problem" I've ever seen is people using an American wrench on a metric Allen. Allens look better on cases than hex bolts too. My opinion. Also, an Allen wrench won't scratch up the case like a socket on a hex bolt.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

[/quote]What problem have Allens given you? The only "problem" I've ever seen is people using an American wrench on a metric Allen. Allens look better on cases than hex bolts too. My opinion. Also, an Allen wrench won't scratch up the case like a socket on a hex bolt.

I'm a weakling, I can't get enough torque on Allens. Anyway, the case is scratched really bad anyway, so I'm not worried about the way the case looks.

Comment

There's been a bunch of sets on ebay.

Just do a search on suzuki parts or a specific model
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Bolts

As far as i know hexbolts wont work. Like the recess ones on the clutch cover you cannot get a socket in there with a hex bolt. Also stainless bolts are the way to go. Mmmmmmm shiny bits

Comment

You need some stainless steel allen head bolts. See this thread:

Hex head bolts won't work -- they're too big for the little recesses in the covers.

Stainless allens are very strong and hard. They won't strip out.

You do need to get a set of T-handles and a couple of proper-size bits for your socket drivers. You'll go nuts trying to work with allens using those lame little L-shaped drivers.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hex head bolts won't work -- they're too big for the little recesses in the covers.
                      Exactly what are those things all over the cases on my 1150 then?
                      Dink
                      BTW they are m6 8mm headed hex head bolts.

Comment

Quote:

Exactly what are those things all over the cases on my 1150 then?
                        Dink
                        BTW they are m6 8mm headed hex head bolts.
                        I too have them on my 650.

Comment

DOH!

Y'all are right -- 5mm thread hex head bolts would have 8mm heads and would fit the case bolt recesses fine.

For some odd reason I was picturing 10mm heads, as if the case bolts had 6mm threads. Maybe I was thinking of valve cover bolts or something.

I still think Allen head bolts look much cooler and are easier to access. You also don't run as much of a risk of boogering up the finish surrounding the bolt head.

It's more a matter of taste, but either way, there's not much excuse for using anything but stainless steel for replacement case bolts.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I didn't use stainless bolts for my cases. Not shiny enough!
                            I had all my Allens chromed to go with my polished cases.
                            But I guess if your cases have the stock finish, then stainless will have to do. :roll:
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Here's a link to a place to buy stainless steel bolts. They sell bolt sets on eBay and I've bought some of them. They also sell individual bolts (fasteners) in any quantity. They're all Allen-head.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I've been mapping out the bolt sizes for my bikes and could probably post it on the web when I get done. This seems like a resource that could be useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X