Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will GS1150 disc brakes work on a GS850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will GS1150 disc brakes work on a GS850?

I need to replace my old brake disc and I saw some nice looking ones off of a 84-45 GS1150, will they work on my 82 GS850 or with my stock calipers? Thanks for any information!

Re: Will GS1150 disc brakes work on a GS850?

Originally posted by seadog
    I need to replace my old brake disc and I saw some nice looking ones off of a 84-45 GS1150, will they work on my 82 GS850 or with my stock calipers? Thanks for any information!
    Go to bikebandit.com and compare part numbers...

Comment

I use Bike Bandit too. There's also Alpha Sports, link below. Just look up the part number for each bike and compare them. If the part numbers aren't an exact match, I don't buy. Some parts cross for a lot of years, but most don't. Or, that's the way it seems to me. I do know, however, that the front disk brake rotors for the 1100GLZ and the 850GLZ do cross.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

I checked out alphasports and the numbers didn't match, I'm not really surprised though since they are very different looking discs. The ones off of the 1150 are 2 pieces like more modern disc brakes. I'm guessing that they are alot lighter than the origional discs that came with my GS850. I don't want to risk these not fitting my bike but I would be surprised if they didn't fit/work. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Rotors off the new bikes are made of a softer metal & therefore seem to be more effective. The calipers are definately lighter. To put these on your old bike you would need to fabricate a hanger for the caliper. This is not hard to do. I used aluminum plate I had & a buddy milled it for me at work. Just make sure the rotor has the right amount of "dish" to clear the fork legs etc. You won't resent the time you spend getting it right, the newer brakes are much better.

Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
          X