Top end power loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top end power loss

I recently took the head off of my 1982 Gs 850. I changed out the gaskets and put her all back together. I got the timing set back correctly according to a clymer manual. The bike runs great, better than it ever did except ... When I am cruising down the highway, before the gasket change, I could easily get over 100 mph if I wanted, plenty of power. Now on flat highway with the throttle wide open, the bike is barely managing 75. (And no I haven't gained a couple of hundred pounds since I changed the gaskets.) Because I had to re-time the bike to put it back together is the power loss going to most likely be a timing issue, or a carb synch issue? I don't have a manometer yet so I haven't tried adjusting the carbs to see if it gets any better. The engine also seems to run hotter then I remember it running. Any suggestions on what to try?

Something is wrong Even if the carbs needed sync it should still do 100 I would recheck your cam timing

Comment

No go......

I'd bet that the cam or cams' are off one tooth.....makes sense as all other things haven't changed. You would notice that it would run better in the lower RPM ranges but would fall on its face wound up high.
      Rick.......

Comment

Your cam timing is incorrect.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X