Swapping stators??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping stators??

I think I might need to replace my stator in the near future and was wondering what other models I might be able to pull one from, as I don't really want to chip out the money to buy a new Electrex at the moment. Are there any models/years of bikes that have decent stators that would work on mine? I have a 1980 GS550L.

Buying a used electrical part is a crap shoot. With the emphasis on crap . You might get lucky and get one that lasts, but you might get one worse than you have now, that might take out a few other components with it. As for the specifics of your question, I don't know which other stator will swap with the one you have now, or if they're any more reliable. Good luck.

Comment

You can go to the Electrex web site and lookup their part number for your stator and then look for that part number on other models and figure out which will work.

I agree with KLACKO, however. A used one can be just as bad as the one you have. There are ways of testing your stator described in the stator papers. I suggest you read through that before you do any buying. My opinion is that R&R units cause more problems than stators, so make sure you have the right culprit.

Comment

I just bought 4 used stators, one at a time, to get 1 good one for a 1980 550, it came off of a 650. Still got by cheaper than buying a new one.

Comment

Working...
        X