Handlebars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars?

I ride aggressively and have already modified the stock bars on my GS1000E to straighten them out and move my body a little further forward, which works ok, but the master cylinder makes contact with the clocks.

I plan now to put on a straight bar, as my original intention was to put the bars on upsidedown, lowering the bar height, but the master got in the way! Clip ons would be too much...

I think the straight bar will work, and I was thinking of using an alloy one. Anyone care to confirm this mod will indeed work without having to change the clocks and or master? CJ

I put a rather flat, Daytona bar on my '81 1100E. It is not totally flat or straight. Has probably 1-2 inch rise and perhaps 2-3 inch pullback. I did not change anything else. Good luck! Dave J

Comment

Found my replacement bars in the motocross section of a Yamaha dealer. Basically they're flat with 2" pull back and no rise. Installed angled down slightly that's easier on the wrists than straight bars.

Two small compromises were needed to clear the tank. Had to remove choke control & cable - which didn't matter because it's rarely needed and can be operated at the carbies anyway. Put spacers at the steering head to reduce the steering travel by about 1/2" each way - but not too much so the steering lock continues to work.

Trial, error, and good luck.

Comment

you should be able to change bars at will... though watch your clearances. Greg Originally put drag bars on his 80 GS550 and they wouldn't let the front end "lock" when he parked. One bit of security gone and a small loss of range (no more lock to lock he just hit the tank). He switched to "superbike" bars 1 inch rise and I think and 2 inch sweep and those worked perfect. Full side to side motion and we could lock the wheel again at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave J
          I put a rather flat, Daytona bar on my '81 1100E. It is not totally flat or straight. Has probably 1-2 inch rise and perhaps 2-3 inch pullback. I did not change anything else. Good luck! Dave J
          Thanks everyone for your input. I do need a slight rise, if only to clear the aircaps on my forks. Off to the bike shop to try a few bars on for size!

CJ

Comment

Working...
          X