Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

After letting my 80 GS1000G sit after a warmup yesterday, I noticed a puddle
    of oil underneath. It appears to be coming from what looks like a weep oil
    on the front left side of the engine underneath the starter, behind the cover plate for the shifter. I first thought this was gear oil but I now think it's engine oil. The gear box is still full of 90w.

Where is the oil coming from? It does not appear to be losing oil while the engine is running. When she runs, she purrs like a kitten. Great bike!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

There's a bolt under that cover that you remove when filling the gear oil -- its purpose is only to let you know when it's full. Anyway, is that bolt still there?

Also, maybe the grommet where the wires from the stator go through?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

oil leak

On my GS the bolt for the gear case is not under a cover. Any other ideas
      on where the oil is coming from? Is this a weep hole?

Thanks!

Comment

the first thing I would do is get take a bucket of soapy water and wash the bike down to get rid of the oil smears. Then with a clean bike, you will at least have a chance of isolating the area with the bike idling.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Was the bike on the sidestand? Does it leak on the centerstand? Check your oil level: is it too high?

I've had engine oil leak from what I assumed was a breather on top of the crankcase when I overfilled it once and left it on the sidestand.

Comment

O-ring on the starter motor, ther is a weep hole hole at the bottom of the starter case this sounds lokr it is where yours is coming from/
            Dink

Comment

oil leak

I dropped the oil and put exactly 3.8 quarts in, and the the oil leak has
              I think disappeared. I must have had some fuel get into the crankcase and raised the oil level.

Right now she looks fine, no leaks!

Thanks guys for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X