'81 gs1000g vac & fuel hoses to petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 gs1000g vac & fuel hoses to petcock

i realize this question has been posted numerous times, but i wasn't able to find thge answer i was loking for, please help:
    i took the gas tank off of my 1981 gs1000g moto and the 2 hoses from the petcock slid off of whatever they were connected to, remaining attached to the petcock. my manual did not give me enough info. i thought i had connected them to the correct nipples, but gas began trunning out of the air filter area, then later (after another configuration) gas was leaking from beneath the bike out of the 2nd exaust pipe. i added oil to the bike and changed the spark plugs before all this happened. there is definitely too much oil in the engine (but i do not know what effect that has on gas flow). there is one fat hose, and one skinny hose coming from the petcock....where do they go? thank u.
    B

This might help:

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie
      No. That photo is the VM series carbs. B has CV carbs.
      Your fuel line (larger) connects to the "T" fitting between carbs #2 and 3.
      Your smaller vacuum line connects to the nipple on the left side of carb #2.
      You should not run too much oil. Crack the drain bolt loose and let some come out until the level is correct. Re-torque a typical drain bolt to about 8 or 9 ft/lb. If you believe too much fuel entered the crankcase, put in new oil.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Unless I am greatly mistaken, you did not gain any oil.
        You have gasoline in your oil.
        If you ran it for more than a moment that way, change all the oil and the filter before you run the bike.
        My 2 cents.

Comment

thank u for the reply. so, i have the hoses connected to the correct "T" and the vaccuum nipple.....let us make sure though. starting from the left side as if straddling the bike, we have carbs 1-4. between 1 and 2 is a "T" where i attached the fuel line from the petcock, between 2 and 3 is a "T" with what i believe must be the fuel filter (there is no hose coming off of the filter), then between 3 and 4 is another "T" with a vent hose leading to nothing of course. so, i am pretty damn positive the hoses are correct as of this morning.....now, even after correctly connecting the hoses there is a lot of fuel flowing into the area where the air filter is.....why? i have never had a problem like this with the motorcycle. it will start, get to about 4000 rpm then slow down, "drown out", and cut off. after a couple of times i notice the fuel leaking out of the air filter area. does it matter if the "T" with the fuel line hooked to it faces up or down? i do not see how hooking two hoses back to where they belong is giving me so much trouble. i'm learning a lot...thanks to everyone's help. if there is a small hole or if either of the hoses is not making a good enough seal: will this cause the gas to go into the air filter area? thank u in advance for your answers.
          B

Comment

You have to connect the fuel line to the T between carbs 2 and 3. The T's between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are float bowl vents. In stock form, they came with hoses on them but are not necessary. The fuel line T between carbs 2 & 3 should be pointing upwards, the vents don't really matter but I have mine pointed down.

Comment

Originally posted by CDNBandit
              You have to connect the fuel line to the T between carbs 2 and 3. The T's between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are float bowl vents. In stock form, they came with hoses on them but are not necessary. The fuel line T between carbs 2 & 3 should be pointing upwards, the vents don't really matter but I have mine pointed down.
              Thank you. I thought my previous post made it clear where the fuel line goes.
              B...your fuel was flowing out because you hooked up the fuel line to a bowl vent nipple. The fuel will then just fill up the carb until the fuel starts coming out into the carb throat and into the airbox and crankcase.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thank u. it doesn't seem to me that thge fuel hose is long enough to fit on the T b/w #2 & #3. there is also a a plastic yellow piece coming from that T that is too small for the fuel hose. i believe u, though...i apologize for my ignorance. i am going to go check now. i am also going to get new hoses now just in case there is a small hole in the vac. line.

Comment

I'm sure your fuel line goes between carbs 2 and 3.
                  By the way, if you install a hose and blow into a bowl vent, you'll get just a little resistance. If you blow into the fuel "T" and the bowls are full of fuel, you won't be able to blow in at all.

Comment

your right. i guess what i thought was a filter is actually an extension from the "T". thanks for your help. i am going to change the oil now just in case gas got in. would u happen to know how to drain and check the level of gear oil in the primary part of the drive shaft? i already drained the secondary and added oil back. i have the manual and know how much to add back. thank u.
                    B

Comment

You would have to ask the shafties about filling the shaft. Make a topic and I'm sure you'll get answers.

Comment

Working...
                      X