BACKFIRE , BACKFIRE, BACKFIRE !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BACKFIRE , BACKFIRE, BACKFIRE !!!!!

I have a 1980 GS 450 with a backfire problem that's driving me crazy, I can get rid of it . So far I have change oil, and filter, spark plugs, spark plug caps, air filters (aftermarket). And problem remained. I went to my local Suki dealer and spoke to a mechanic, who show me how to adjust the air jet screw, (the air screws were visible so I figure someone tampered with it before). Problem remained. Took the carburators apart and deep cleaned it in a carb and parts cleaning solution, for 20 min each part as suggested on this web site. Changed all the gaskets and O rings. Mount it back on the bike, started it and it ran fine. No backfire ; Took it out for a spin, and it happend again :x , but this time when I speed up and release the throtle quickly, then the backfire will start. What am I doing wrong, is it a set of new carb my answer. Please help. Thank you all in advance.

You could have a leak in your exhaust system,air gets in,combines with unburnt fuel and BANG!Check all the connections including header to cylinder head.

Comment

Backfire, Backfire, Backfire! That's three Russian bombers...

Tupolev lives!

Seriously, it's most probably an exhaust leak.

Nick

Comment

Are you talking about exhaust "popping" or actual backfires, which are like small explosions?

What color are the electrodes on your spark plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
          Backfire, Backfire, Backfire! That's three Russian bombers...

Tupolev lives! Nick

Comment

If you got points then it's the condenser's shorting out. It's time for some new points and condensers.

Most problems are

10% Carbs

90% Electrical

And if it's FI then it's 100% electrical.

Good Luck
            Jake
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Also if you messed with your mixture screw at all, and is setup too lean it will pop when you close the throttle at higher rpms. Probably an exhaust leak, but if that doesn't cure it, make your mixture screws a tad richer.

Comment

Dougie, I didn't expect too many people to get the "Backfire bomber" joke, but I'm glad at least you did!

That was a "Bear" of a joke, eh?

I'm glad it didn't altogether "bomb"...

Nick

Comment

Bad,very very bad........
                  Yeah you could say it was a "Blinder"!

Comment

Working...
                  X