Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What repair series would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What repair series would you like to see?

Like many others, I've found the carb cleaning series and the other references available on this site to be very useful.

Which ones are still needed?

More to the point, who among us is willing to take photos and notes while they're wrist-deep in their next valve adjustment, clutch replacement, or whatever?

I think adding to the storehouse of GS knowledge and lore will be a worthy winter goal for us northern hemisphere riders.

For my part, I have a digital camera and experience in designing and building web sites (it's how I make much of my living). I plan to document my impending cam chain tensioner rebuild, if anyone is interested. At some point this winter or next spring, I could document a valve adjustment.

If anyone has notes and photos, I'd be happy to help you make them into a web-based series. I can provide web hosting for them for as long as they're useful or provide them to thegsresources.com if they're interested.

Thoughts?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Very nice idea!

There are lots of things to choose from,

replacing brake pads,
    replacing the chain and sprockets,
    setting the points gap and timing,
    synchronising your carbs,
    replacing fork seals and the special tool to do it with,
    adjusting valve clearances with shims AND screw adjusters.

Maybe some more GS specific ones like replacing the stator and rectifier or "how to get rid of that nasty clutch rattle"

I will see what I can do with my own chores, I do have a digicam.
    I just did a thing in tips and tricks about edges but it really isn't normal maintanance.

Comment

How about replacing aftermarket taper roller head bearings?The outer races on my 550 are recessed in the steering head so you can't get a drift on to drive them out,like I did with the original ball races.Anybody know how to fabricate a tool to do the job?

Comment

Valve adjustments
        Clutch replacement
        Rear drum brake shoe replacement

I know my manual has all these thing, but it is nice to have a person whom knows these bike and their quirks in and out to do it because it isn't a simple tear down and rebuild for a few bucks like Haynes.

Comment

630 to 530 chain conversion!

Comment

here here !!!

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I'm all for the valve clearance writeup. I'll be doing that soon and I've never done one myself. Please, soon!!!

A carb synch writeup would be good also. Please don't omit the less fortunate who can't afford a Morgan Carbtune, someone please tell me how to safely use a mercury gauge and get the job done right.

Maybe also a clutch rebuild.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                Yes!

Also, one that shows how to balance carbs and set them up would be awesome!

Comment

All great ideas -- keep 'em coming!

Anyone who wants to contribute photos to this project, please email me at this address for instructions:
                  gs@bwringer.com

Please don't email me a bunch of attachments without checking first! If you only have a film camera, email me and we'll make arrangements for getting the photos to me so I can scan them.

I'm not due for a valve adjust for a while -- I just did mine last month. Anyone who knows what they're doing willing to take some photos? I can write it up.

I'd be willing to demonstrate a carb sync with my El Cheapo mercury gauges when I take my carbs off to remove and rebuild the cam chain tensioner. This will be a week or two from now.

The valve adjust photos and diagrams are pretty clear in the Haynes and Clymer manuals, but there are a few little helpful tricks that make things a bit easier. I think the valve adjust series could be very valuable for a lot of GS owners.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'd be willing to demonstrate a carb sync with my El Cheapo mercury gauges when I take my carbs off to remove and rebuild the cam chain tensioner. This will be a week or two from now.
                    You rule. That will be perfect timing for me, thanks. Make sure to see if Frank can post it in the garage.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie
                      How about replacing aftermarket taper roller head bearings?
                      Weld a seam on the race, it will shrink and be easier to remove.
                      While you're welding you could attach two plates or nuts.
                      Use a sliding hammer with these and you're done.

I've done most of the mods mentioned here, most covered on my site.

However, for the modifications: 630/530, fitting GSXR wheels etc there's no exact formula as every bike/model has its differences.
                      Showing the resulting spacers etc is easy, explaining the thinking that led to the result is sometimes bloody difficult...

Comment

I'd like to see minor head clean-up & porting, installing updated wheels & tires & front ends.

Thanks, Paul
                        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

what's the chain conversion all about....h.g.

Comment

I'd like to see a tutorial on electrical system troubleshooting and upgrades. Please include tips and pointers on the correct use of multimeters, continuity testers, etc. Call it "Electrical System Diagnostics for Dummies"...

Comment

Cam degreeing, with pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X