Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What repair series would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not let this slide to the back now! Can anyone do a writeup with pics on the valve clearance adjustment? If not, I'll attempt my first one with my Haynes manual and do my own write up.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

you take the pics and if we get some one to write some stuff up i can put it in a pdf and host it.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Nice. This will be my first valve adjust, but I'm fairly confident that I will do ok.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

This will be my first valve adjust, but I'm fairly confident that I will do ok.
          If you have a manual, then it is pretty straighforward. The only things to really know are that you should set the clearances to the loose side of the spec and use two feeler gauges to set each pair of valves at the same time. This avoids twisting the forked rocker by having only one side set at a time. The feeling you want for dragging the gauges out from under the rocker is about like pulling a sheet of paper out of the middle of a thick text book. That much drag gives you close to the actual clearance on the gauge.

I need to do the valves on my 1100, but it will be a while before I get that far in my garage work. If it is not done by then, I can take pics and do a little write up.

Mark

Comment

I'll do a write up for a shim valve adjustment this weekend, complete with my dissertation on selecting and obtaining shims, feeler gauges, etc.

I'm not sure if I'll get any pics, but the pictures and diagrams in the the manuals are pretty clear.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hey, I'd be glad to pitch in.

I'm also planning to disassemble my bike this winter, and I would love to go in on a project detailing something which is not now on this site.

DIBS ON THE BRAKE FLUID CHANGE!!!!

wait....I can also take pics of "How to fuel up your brand new old GS!!"

Comment

Can someone quickly explain why people use the term "shim" with valve adjustments on our bikes? I thought we had adjustable tappets thus eliminating the need for buying shims. Is it just the term used to describe the process of setting the clearances? Do most bikes require purchasing the correct size shim? I just want to make sure all I will need is the head gasket for parts. If I need to check clearances, then buy shims it means my bike will be down for a few days. I'd need to plan ahead for that.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

To adjust the tappet clearances, you install the correct thickness shim.
                  I'm not sure, your model may have the screw adjusters (no shims needed.) If you have shims, you need a tool to remove them. You won't know what shims you need until you check things. You may be able to swap shims around. Be sure to get Suzuki shims which are 29.5mm in diameter. You may also need the cam end gaskets or "half moons" that are on some models. Check your clearances on a stone cold motor. Letting it sit overnight is best. Put a very thin coat of bearing grease on the new cover gasket and the gasket will be easy to remove in the future.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My manual for my 83 GS1100ED shows threaded nut adjusters on the tappets and speaks of a special tool that makes it easier to adjust, although a small spanner will also suffice. Just to be clear (before I tackle this project), I shouldn't need the shims, correct?
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

How you adjust your valves depends on the year and model of the bike. My late 70's GS 750's all use the bucket and shim method. Your bike probably uses the adjusting screw method as shown in your manual. A few years ago I did the valves on my sons 1989 Katana 600 and purchased the Suzuki special tool #09917-14910 : Valve adjuster driver. If it's the same special tool you require your welcome to borrow it. It made the job a lot easier for us.

Comment

I wrote an article on how to adjust the valves on the 16 valve 1100 (should work for the 750 and 1150 also) but never sent it in. I also have pictures.

Hap

Comment

Since I'm going to be changing the transmission in my 1100 soon I will also do one on that.

I've done the 630/530 conversion and could do that also.

Hap

Comment

I believe that all 8 valve GSs (and their 4 valve 2 cylinder little brothers) use shims to adjust valve clearances, while the 16 valve variations use screw and locknut valve adjustments. Round caps on the ends of your valve cover? Shims. Rectangular caps? Screw and locknuts. I think. Probably. Maybe.

Someone around here probably has a complete list.

Fortunately, we don't have "shim under bucket" valve adjustment like KZ Kaws, where the camshaft has to come out to make adjustments. (Added PITA, let me tell you...) In our bikes, you just push the tappet down with a special lever tool, pop the shim out with a small screwdriver, and retrieve it with tweezers or small pliers. Pretty quick and easy, once you've done it a few times.

So anyway, there are definitely two different procedures for adjusting valves on GSs.

My bike, a GS850G, uses shims. I'll write up this procedure in detail this weekend, including several tips and tricks and the art of selecting proper replacement shims. I might not get any pictures, since I just checked my valves last month.

However, we will still need a write-up and pictures from someone familiar with the procedure for adjusting screw-and-locknut valves on a GS. I've done this type of adjustment on many other bikes and cars, but never on a GS, so I'll leave that to someone else who can give us some of those very specific tips and tricks that make the job a lot easier.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm putting a new stator cover on this weekend does anyone want me to take pictures?

Comment

I've got my new cyl head gasket and am going to do this job tomorrow night. I'll take pictures galore, but I'd like to see if anyone else will do the write up because I will be doing this for the first time!

Ready with the tourqe wrench...
                                Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                                X