Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Woes

Hi everyone,

I have a 1981 GS850GL. It's relatively all there mechanically, but it was left outside in the weather for a couple years without being run and needs much in the way of electrical work. I've done a few tests, and come to the conclusion that the ignitor module needs to be replaced. I have not yet done the stator test, but I will tonight.

The former owner said it was draining the battery in about 40 minutes. I suspect he ran it until it died and parked it. When I opened the side covers, there was some fused connectors and wiring shorts - I suppose it all generated from his spotty rewiring of the turn signals and horn.

I have other problems too. The handlebar switched are all either non-existant or non-functioning. There is nothing at all on the right side, and the wires ripped out completely on the left.

Questions:

1. Would it be better for me to install the Dyna III ignition? How much would I get soaked for a new Ignitor Module? The Dyna II is only like $99 right now.

2. Does anyone here have a lead on some control switches? I'd buy the whole assemblies. Any manufacturers make a suitable substitute? Is there any substitutes that will fit my electrical system? I don't have to have the auto-cancelling turn signals... all I want are signals that actually work.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get this bike running.

Good on you for rescuing that poor abused 850!

The control switch assemblies come up on eBay regularly.

One tactic I may have heard about possibly being used is to keep an eye out on eBay for someone who appears to be parting out an 850. Shoot them an email, and they'd probably be delighted at the opportunity to unload even more related stuff.

Of course, eBay would like you to think that your toes will fall off if you do this, but as long as you play fair with any auctions that are already underway, it's none of eBay's business.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks bro, good advice! Do you think that any GS handlebar switches will work?

Comment

Yes they will. Wire colors may vary, but you can correlate switch function to wire color with just a continuity light.

Earl

Originally posted by Jeff Higgins
        Thanks bro, good advice! Do you think that any GS handlebar switches will work?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X