Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS550 sounds like its making pop corn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS550 sounds like its making pop corn.

I took a ride this week end and as usual :x the bike was hard to start. after a few shots of ether I got it running. Felt all the pipe and they were warm. I turned the bike off and waited for my partner to join me (15 or so minutes later). Off we went, it was a windy day and we needed to hit the highway. The head wind was strong and I noticed the bike did not want to respond. It went and got up to speed but there were burst where it felt as if the wind head wind was really slowing me down.

We arrived to our destination (some Harley dealership that was having a Chrome Coming 15% off and my buddy need part for his bike). We looked around a little visited the tents sealing their wears (polish, wax, jacket emblems which were sewed on right there) and I drool a little looking at the bikes on the show room floor.

We got our parts and it was time to leave. I start my bike and all seems normal. Going down the street I notice that acceleration was not smooth but choppy at best. The bike seemed to sputter but its was not that bad. On the highway (about 1/2 way home) it starts backfiring, not real loud but a lot of pops like some one was making pop corn in a tall metal pot. I pull over and at idle it sounds fine a quick rev to 5K rpm and still sounds fine. Back on the highway and I become Mr. Jolly Time (pop corn anyone) .

I slow it down to 50 and make the trek home. I got home and have not looked at the bike yet. I think I have a timing problem or the old points and condensers are shot. I did notice that one of the boot on my carb has a crack in it but at quick glance its seems like it is a split from over tightening the screw holding it in.

Not being a real gear head I need some pointers , anyone care to speculate as to what has gone wrong.

At idle all sounds normal. As soon as I try to drive it pops like a mother but small light pops not really loud. My buddy did say he saw some black smoke coming out my left side that was consistent with the pops but if was just a puff here and there nothing constant.

Ideas ? Timing, points/condenser, carb trouble, all of the above ?

Looking forward to responses.

Your points have finally worn down to nothing. You have "pinched" the last squealing penny's worth of milage out of them. Grab yer penny Jar, dig under the sofa cushions, get yer pop bottles together and get new points. (preferably a right side set and a left side set), then grab two of them spanking new condensors and replace the cracked spark plug boot. Gap your new points and static time the ignition and the 550 will be good as new.
    You might want to throw in a new set of spark plugs for the old girl too.
    If your pointsets are held down with two screws, they are the kokosan points. If you have the points that have only one hold down screw, they are nippondenso points. Condensors will be the same

If you need timing and gap setting instructions, give a yell.

Earl :-) :-) :-) :-)
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I thought it was an ignition thing. In some of my other posts here I have been complaining that I have to start the bike with either. Yep and lots of it too. No not one big massive overdose (I'd have no engine). I would have to do 1/2 choke spay it get to start and then shoot it with quick bursts to get all the cylinders to fire. I could hear them light and go out, light and go out, so I would continue the quick shots until they stopped going out. I've been lucky I only had 2 or 3 small detonations in the last 2 yrs.

Yes I always suspected points but everyone told me its you carbs or its the coils or the stater.

Last night I check the plus 1&4 are tan and 2 & 3 are black. I removed the points cover and started the bike. I had one of them there 300 or 500 what flood light shining on it and I could see a ton of sparks coming from the right side points (2 & 3). There was no visible sparking on the left side until I removed the flood light, then I could see a little here and there.

Again I'm not a gear head but my twin brother sez he thinks the points look fine. He used to do the points in his old car so I guess he may have has a sense about it but he's no expert. I consulted a friend and this friend said it's probably the condenser. It sounds like it's not holding back the spark like it should. Luckily for me I had a spare bike in the basement don't know what shape the engine is in but, it had parts. A quick look told this dummy that the condenser could be removed with out affecting the timing so I went scavenging.

We replaced the condenser and fired up the bike. There is still visible spark (on the right) but like before. Its a lot move visible when I rev the engine up but the popping stopped. I buttoned it up and took the bike out ... oh yeah the engine felt like it used to no loss of power no popping. I'm still concerned about the excessive spark on the right compared to the left. I'm thinking the right's gap is too wide and causing the spark to jump too far hence the visibility ... but what do I know.

Where does one find points and condensers for this bike my local shop wanted $100.00 and $80.00 to install. That's way too much. I thought about electronic ignition kit but that is still pricey and I can't do timing (never could). If you know some resources on where to get points and condensers please let me know. Also please do send me instructions on how to do the points ... I have a friend at work who said he used to do them all the time ten years ago and he would fix it if i screw it up so I have nothing to lose.

The bike is 1979 Suzuki GS550 L

Hell maybe the bike may perform better after the timing is set ... I always thought it was a little sluggish.

If you want to email me send to capatosta(REMOVE THIS NOSPAM)@cox.net

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Setting your points, expalained by Mr. Earlfor, right here in the tips and tricks section.

Comment

ebay you can get new points and condenceors pretty cheep, probly even get them at bike bandit or ron ayers. you just need to find out what type you have.

if i was you i would get a clymers manuel and read how to do the points and condencors, proby end up costing you 60 when all said and done that is for points condecors and the book if you do it all yourself.

if you have to use ether to start your bike then you have dirty carbs as well, if you had clean carbs and bad points and stuff the bike would still start. but ether is makeing up for bad fuel delivery.

your intake boots and o ring in each boot is probly shot too.
          i hope this gives you some place to start to get the bike workin great

here is probly what you need

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Re: Thanks for the reply

A pair of points (right and left set) will cost you $13.90
            Condensors are about $5 each and you need two. shipping will be about $6, so it shouldnt cost you more than $30 to have them delivered to your door. You will need to look and see if you have points with one hold down screw on them or two hold down screws. That is how the catalog differentiates what you need to order. MY favorite people are at http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
            If you need something that is not listed on their site, call them. You would be amazed at what they have on hand. :-) :-) Good people to deal with and great service.

You have excess spark on your right side pointset because they are dirty and pitted. A sure sign they are on their way to not working.

Do your own points gapping and timing. Knowing how to set points on a car ten years ago is nothing like setting up a dual point motorcycle ignition and timing it Youre far better off to let us walk you through it so you can learn how to do it. Dont worry about it. There is no mistake you can make that we cant fix. :-) All you will need is a set of feeler guages and a continuity light. The continuity light can be nothing more than a 12 volt bulb in a socket with two wires with alligator clips so you can connect it.

I have posted a "how to" set points and timing in the tips section. If you cant find it, I can also cut and paste PM it to you.

If you have any questions I havent covered, you can also PM me. :-)

Earl

[quote="dd"]I thought it was an ignition thing. In some of my other posts here I have been complaining that I have to start the bike with either. Yep and lots of it too.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              I have posted a "how to" set points and timing in the tips section. If you cant find it, I can also cut and paste PM it to you.

If you have any questions I havent covered, you can also PM me. :-)

Earl
              Check the post from me above yours.

Comment

I've used car condensers for years,a pair are about a fifth of the price of Suzi parts.They work fine enough and are easy to obtain.They no longer live under the points cover,but by the coils.No ignition problems at all.

Comment

Ok, ok, just call me blind and feeble. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by "robinjo"
                  [/quote

Check the post from me above yours.

Comment

Working...
                  X