Blown head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown head gasket

Well, i have a blown head gasket on the 1150E. I was able to order a new head gasket and Tsubaki cam chain, but cant find a rivet type master link anywhere. I think the camchain is #420, anyone know for sure? Has anyone found a source for #420 (if that is the correct size) rivet master links? Also, does anyone have a source for the crimping tool needed to properly set a rivet master link? I really dont want to risk swinging a hammer to crimp/peen a camchain master link in place. :-)

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

My 1100 chain came as one full circle. You have to split the cases to put the chain on the crank. I thought the 1150's were the same. I would be afraid putting a master link on would be asking for trouble.

Comment

can you just break the old chain then hook the new chain to the old one give the chain some slack so it drops off the crank gear and pull the new chain up through with the old chain. this is all a guess and i have no idea how the chain is held to the crank. any ideas?

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

link

I used to get the link from Tucker Rocky about 10 years ago, and was a cotter pin type link, needed no tool, never had a problem with them. tool is about $110 bucks ive seen them on ebay and I think dennis kirk, if I can find my Dk cato. I will give you the price

Comment

Youre correct, the cam chain comes as an endless/full circle chain and consequently you have to tear down the engine to install it that way. My chainbreaker will cleanly remove a link in about 4 seconds flat. L0L If I can find a Peen on type masterlink, I will only need to break the camchain, unbolt the head and pop a gasket in, retorque the head, pull the new chain through, align cam timing and I'm done. Can probably do the whole thing and have the bike running in less than 1 1/2-2 hours.

Earl

Originally posted by rosco15
          My 1100 chain came as one full circle. You have to split the cases to put the chain on the crank. I thought the 1150's were the same. I would be afraid putting a master link on would be asking for trouble.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The cam chain tensioner hold the chain to the crank and cam sprockets. The chain is made as an endless loop. Either you tear down the engine and put the crankshaft through the loop, or you break the chain and rivet a masterlink to rejoin it.

Earl

Originally posted by first timer
            can you just break the old chain then hook the new chain to the old one give the chain some slack so it drops off the crank gear and pull the new chain up through with the old chain. this is all a guess and i have no idea how the chain is held to the crank. any ideas?

-ryan

Comment

Re: link

Did you use the cotter pin type masterlinks on motorcycle cam chains?
              I would have no problem using a cotter pin master. I've used rivet master links also and never had a problem. Side to side stress is minimal. The sideplate takes the tension load. The rivet end or cotter only serves to provide alignment.

thanks

Earl

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
              I used to get the link from Tucker Rocky about 10 years ago, and was a cotter pin type link, needed no tool, never had a problem with them. tool is about $110 bucks ive seen them on ebay and I think dennis kirk, if I can find my Dk cato. I will give you the price

Comment

How did you blow it...some late night "cruising?"

Comment

I have no idea. Its been weeping a drop or two for a long time, but not enough to worry about. This past week, it finally blew through. Its bad enough to oil the rear tire now, so much throttle at all and it just spins and goes sideways. Frankly, I'm just getting tired of spending more time going sideways than straight. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by 80gs1000e

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    I have no idea. Its been weeping a drop or two for a long time, but not enough to worry about. This past week, it finally blew through. Its bad enough to oil the rear tire now, so much throttle at all and it just spins and goes sideways. Frankly, I'm just getting tired of spending more time going sideways than straight. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
                    Have you done any major engine mods? Bored, or high compression? Getting your block o-ringed isn't very pricey, and could save you from blowing the gasket again, but if you haven't done much to your engine it would be overkill

Comment

I've read on this site that a bicycle chain breaker/pincher will work. I've seen them for sale for about 15 bucks. If you pinch the chain and go a little too far you set it up in the breaker again to loosen it off a touch.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

No internal engine mods at all. Other things, but not internals. Since it only had 3700 miles on it when I bought it, I am pretty sure the engine has never been worked on. I dont think it had even had the valves adjusted before I did them. :-) I have a copper head gasket ordered for it, so that shouldnt blow through anytime soon. The one thing I must find is a rivet link for the Tsubaki camchain I have ordered. No source yet for it.

If I was going to do anything to the engine, it would be a turbo anyway.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by lhanscom

Have you done any major engine mods? Bored, or high compression? Getting your block o-ringed isn't very pricey, and could save you from blowing the gasket again, but if you haven't done much to your engine it would be overkill

Comment

Sorry to hear that your bike is off the road Earl. A few weeks ago Dink mentioned (if I read correctly) that in the past he hasn't used a rivet link but instead just used the original pin (hope you don't mind me quoting you, Dink ).

For the Motion-Pro tool that can break and rejoin cam chains the cheapest that I've found was at JC Whitney for $78:
                          Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Earl have fun getting all the oilways o-ringed!! Would have been better off gettig a Cometic graphite gasket, BTW DO NOT forget to replace the base gasket and the o-rings at the bottom of the block or it will leak there very shortly after you start it.
                            Just split the old camchain, hook your new camchanin to it, roler the motor over to feed it through ad press re-fit the link plate, you do not need a joining link the camchain is in a constant oilbath and that is way they last as long as they do, I heartil agree with your choice of Tsubaki chain.
                            Dink
                            Mr Jiggles I no problem at all with being quoted if it helps someone.

Comment

I thought if you did copper you needed to do the o-rings for it to seal well?

Originally posted by earlfor
                              No internal engine mods at all. Other things, but not internals. Since it only had 3700 miles on it when I bought it, I am pretty sure the engine has never been worked on. I dont think it had even had the valves adjusted before I did them. :-) I have a copper head gasket ordered for it, so that shouldnt blow through anytime soon. The one thing I must find is a rivet link for the Tsubaki camchain I have ordered. No source yet for it.

If I was going to do anything to the engine, it would be a turbo anyway.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by lhanscom

Comment

Working...
                              X