Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't let me pay too much

I'm down to one last shout-out here. 1983 GS750ES 6,700 miles

I found my chain guard was previously broken and rigged(unsuccesfully) by previous owner. This came to my attention while changing the rear tire.

The site everyone typically refers to (hint: provides parts diagrams) wants over $70 for the piece of plastic and no hardware. I would feel very uncomfortable if I paid that much, when I know there's one out there looking for a second chance to live.

I have requested from several salvage yards around the U.S. and found nothing so far. I can't find one in the salvage yards here. I have looked on ebay and found nothing.

I need the guard on to pass my skills/safety test soon.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Just keep looking on e-bay. You will find it eventually. Plus, there are aftermarket chrome chain guards that I have seen from JC Whitney, but I think they are like 40 or 50 bucks.

Be patient, and on e-bay you will find one for 15 or 20 bucks max.

As for the skills test........ are you 100% positive you need the chain guard? If that's the case........ I'm thinking a 1.5" or 2" diameter PVC pipe cut in half would do the trick???? Spray-paint it black, drill some holes in it....... and put it on about a mile before you get to the license agency!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

I made one out of a piece of aluminum 3" channel, and a band saw. Worked well, and you can make it look any way you want.

Here's how mine turned out :

Comment

depending on ware its broken you can poprivit some aluminum to do a repair. cut it long enuff to support the plastic. if needed you can shape it to the contures of the chain guard.

if you dont like the crack in the plastic get some jb weld or any type of plastic puddy to fill. a bit of paint and your set.

Comment

Thanks everyone, the guard had broken at the tab where the front bolt goes through, so inspiration struck me this morning and I did exactly what Gremlin had later suggested. I bolted a piece of aluminum to the guard and drilled a hole in the aluminum to mount it through. It seems to work fine. Thank you so much for all of your help.

I also found a non-running 83' GS1100 today completely by chance. It had no chain guard, but I was able to get the switch for the rear brake light that fits under the front brake lever.

Accomplishments today- Installed brake switch, oil change, chain guard fixed, re-set float levels in carbs, synched carbs, and have ridden 100 miles.

Now I ask you , Could there be a more perfect day?

Comment

Only if you didn't have to work on the bike and got to ride 200 miles instead!

Comment

Only if you didn't have to work on the bike and got to ride 200 miles instead!

Comment

Due to the fact that I love to work on this bike, I felt I had to split the joy equally. My buddies are getting tired of me calling to talk about what I want to work on next.

example: I want to polish the side covers and repaint the frame this winter. The main reason I want to repaint the frame is the there is a little surface rust in a couple of places and I get to take everything else off the bike and clean/troubleshoot/replace it while I'm at it.

It helps that I have a history of restoring 70's musclecars.

Comment

Working...
                X