New Electrex parts have quit working???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Electrex parts have quit working???

Well, about 600 miles ago I replaced my stock charging system (which was bad since I got the bike) with a new Electrex stator and regulator/rectifier, this is an '81 GS550T. Things were working great up until a week ago. Now suddenly the bike isn't charging again. The battery was good, all my connections are in good shape (I soldered, shrink tubed, and electrical taped) all the connections on the new parts), engine oil checked regularly. The reg/reg was grounded right to the battery and the charge wire from the reg/rec goes right to the positive terminal on the battery. I checked the output of the stator and it is roughly 65 volts at 5000 rpm. The reg/rec doesn't check out so well, it shows no continuity in the direction that it should and shows continuity in the direction that it shouldn't. What do you think went wrong and why? This has me really frustrated.

u probably have a warranty on parts right?

Comment

Send an e-mail to Electrex and describe the problem. They are really good to deal with.

Sounds like failure of the R/R...and it also sounds like the warranty will cover it.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
        u probably have a warranty on parts right?
        I think that it is a one year warranty..send it back

Comment

Thought mine had quit charging sent it back to Electrex and they tested it for free. Discovered that I modified the bullet connectors and that was something that should not be done. Once I reinstalled it and replaced the removed connectors it charges fine.

Comment

Working...
          X