Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

regulator/rectifier issues? turn signal gets stuck on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regulator/rectifier issues? turn signal gets stuck on...

so when I'm at a light and turn on the signal (so far only noticed this on the left) it blinks for a couple, then starts slowing down, then gets to the point that it can't store enough juice to kick over/off and just sort of bogs down the electrical. (the headlight dims as the blinker goes on either way) If I don't do anything it will slow down the engine as well, but if I just rev it real quick, it gets back on track and flashes again, but starts the bog process over...

would this sound like a reg/rect problem, or all the way to the alt?? I have a multimeter around somewhere, but at the moment can't seem to find it

thanks for any thoughts!!!

OK, so I've been reading the my regulator mod threads, and wondering if a RR from a bigger bike is going to be just as good? wouldn't it just have to work less hard to regulate or would it be too strong and over regulate... I guess it's only in how fast the alternator spins that makes the biggest difference???

check the tips section for reg modification The Honda reg will work on any GS bike if funds are short. I would CHECK the stator output first, make sure it is healthy then check the reg/rect. In 1980 when they went to elect ign the stator output was increased 30%

Comment

Two things you said makes me think you need to find your meter.
      Yep, Blinker will go slower at lower voltage. When you rev engine the chrging system puts out more and raises the voltage so the blinker runs better. But charging system should put out enough to have good enough voltage to run blinkers even at lower rpms.
      Headlight dimming when blinkers blink also indicates real low voltage.
      Sounds like your charging system isnt putting out much, so the voltage is low especailly at low rpm.
      Need to find your meter to verify this. And will also need meter to troubleshoot the stator and/or regulator-rectifyer like Lynn said.
      Or maybe check to see if the connections between the stator and the R/R are getting hot, bad connections (that was my problem) dont need meter for that.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

U need a few things.

The multi meeter is a must.... Also you need a hydrometer to tell you if the battery is any good. If you don't start with a good battery that is fully charged you won't know what the system is doing.

Check and clean any connections before you get started as well.

Comment

Same thing happened to me, except I had the problem on equally on right and left sides. The stator papers helped me diagnose a faulty r/r, which I have since replaced with a Honda unit from Ebay. I can't say whether the problem is fixed because a flat tire and a move to another state have prevented me from riding the bike since then. But this weekend I will know for sure.

Short of finding your multimeter and troubleshooting with the stator papers you might want to clean the left side connections and check for burnt out bulbs. I found my turn signal switch was very corroded when I opened it up.

For what it's worth here's the thread on my electrical problems

Comment

The electrical system must be checked entirely, but you absolutely must check the battery first, and check the ground leads. Even add another ground to the frame.

Note that once you have determined that there is a viable output from the stator, and it is getting to and through the R/R, the quality of electrical connections is paramount. They tend to corrode over time, and exposure, and must be cleaned.

When clean, use a small dab of dielectric grease to ensure a long-lasting connection.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Hi, before you go into the electronics, check your battery. Even if you have sufficient juice to start it, the battery can be low enough not to provide enough oomph at idle for all the bikes needs. I had a similar problem with my bike, the turn signals would not blink, or if was lucky, blink very slowly. Problem went away after I put in a new battery.

Good luck!

Comment

hmmm. the battery is only a year old, tho I did nothing special to it over the winter. I found my meter, and next time I get a second I'll see how it looks, battery and all!

thanks everybody!!

Comment

snowbeard, did you see my reply in this thread about your email? I cannot send you the invite without it I wasn't ignoring you. I am waiting for your reply buddy.

I know this was off topic, just wanted to catch you.

Comment

I would clean all the electrical connections. Then, clean all the electrical connections. Don't forget to clean all the electrical connections. Did I mention clean all the electrical connections? Oh yea, then run a ground from the R/R to battery (-), then test it. Get the grease also.

Comment

Working...
                    X