Broken Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Chain

Chain broke on my 1983 GS 1100 just today.

Glad I was close to the side of the rode (highway).

Is it usually a bad thing for the engine when the chain breaks?

I have not tried to start the engine.

Anyone have experience (good/bad) with chain breaking.

Lost the chain on my 81 1100 last Saturday, repaired yesterday, rode today! Take the cover off on the left side so you can see the drive sprocket area, if there is any damage it will be aparent. I have heard of cases being cracked, fortunately I was going rather slow and suffered no real damage(other than my ego from having to haul the bike home in a truck!). Get yourself a good chain or at least a new master link and get that GS back on the road. Dave J

Comment

chain

I used to weld up one case a week in my bike shop back in the late 70's most were the old honda cb 750 k models, I used to snake the chain out of my kawa 750 triple once a year with no damage, it just depends on how much clearence there is between the case and sprocket and when and were the chain was at on the sprocket when it snapped or popped its master link, chains have gotten alot better since tho's days, replace it DON'T relink it and use it

Comment

Put a new chain on that bike, I would also check the valve adjustment.

Comment

Remember a new chain means new sprockets too.
          Dink

Comment

Yes, as a matter of fact, I lost my first bike to a broken chain. It was a 2000 SV650. As mentioned before, it depends on the clearance between the chain and the crankcase.

Mine broke as I was going around a corner, gouged the case a few times, then finally bunched up against the case and cracked it open. Oil all over the place, and still 70 miles from home. As luck would have it, that was the day I found out I didn't have towing on my motorcycle. I actually found out they won't tow motorcycles at all... (State Farm)

Now I'm riding a shaft-driven bike, and couldn't be happier. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but for reliability and lack of suprises when you're miles away from home, shaft is the only way to go.

Back to the SV, the chain was original, and had 36,000 miles on it. I kept it clean and oiled, and the manual didn't say anything about replacing it at any interval, so I figured I was doing well.

On newer bikes, I don't know that a new chain necessitates new sprockets. The sprockets on my SV were hardened right where the chain rollers wore against it. When I had to get rid of the bike, ( couldn't afford a new engine) the sprockets still looked like new.

Modern chains are sealed O-ring chains and don't need much in the way of maintenance; just a cleaning and oiling once in a while, and the oiling seems to be as much to prevent rust as anything else. (It also lubes the surface that the rollers bear against)

Good luck.

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
            X