NO WAY!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO WAY!!!!

so I'm changing my oil. .. you know the routine... i go to take the fill cap off and the "knob" or what ever it is breaks off? I try again... it breaks more...

i now have nothing left to grasp and the damn thing wont budge. WTF!?!?!?!

This has never happened before.

i have an extra one but how the heck do I get this knobless oil fill cap off?

PLEASE... let there be a trick i can do at home in a speedy fashion.

Any way you can fit a Vice-Grip around the rim? If not, maybe you can get a punch, or even just a nail, position it at the edge of the cap and hammer the cap around until it twists out?

Comment

that was my next idea.... but I wanted to know if it had worked for anybody previously

Comment

whew... all good. A screwdriver, a hammer and the gentle touch of "don't let me down now."

Comment

Another trick is to take a hammer and a chisel or punch. Use them around the outside of the cap, right near the threads. It should work out if you do it right.

Done it with screws and bolts before.

Comment

For future reference:

This trick has saved my bacon a few times. Get a Dremel (or cheapie equivalent) and a cutoff wheel. Grind a slot into the head of the perpetrating fastener. Use a flathead screwdriver.

I always laugh when I see something with a safety Torx head or something. Unless it's recessed somewhere, you can make ANY fastner into a flathead with a trusty Dremel...

Comment

Amen to the Dremel. When I worked in a radio shop we used ot get these radios whre the front panel was held on with Torx screws, and they were invariably stuck. We'd use the same trick to get them free.

Well, the other techs did. After I gouged two panels in the same day, the boss told me not to do that any more.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X