GS750L ignition problem TX guys also

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750L ignition problem TX guys also

I just inherited a 79 Gs750L and am trying to get it running but the coils do not produce any spark with the motor cranks. The bike has been sitting for about a year but before then it would start fine but when getting on the gas it would stumble. Can anyone help me please in getting it to run? What and how should I check ?

If your in DFW I will pay if you can fix it

First check that you have 12V on the coils and at the points , also check the point gap. (note when checking for voltage have the points blocked open, use a business card. If that is Ok? opening and closing the points should make the plug fire
    You will probably need to clean the carbs too! When I am doing this type of work I like to take the battery out of my car and hook it to the bike to get max voltage

Comment

First check that you have 12V on the coils and at the points , also check the point gap. (note when checking for voltage have the points blocked open, use a business card. If that is Ok? opening and closing the points should make the plug fire
      You will probably need to clean the carbs too!
      When I am doing this type of work I like to take the battery out of my car and hook it to the bike to get max voltage while cranking to start

Comment

Re: GS750L ignition problem TX guys also

Originally posted by txblownz24
        Can anyone help me please in getting it to run? What and how should I check ?

If your in DFW I will pay if you can fix it
        I'm in North Richland Hills and could come over sometime and take a look if you live fairly close. If it was running in the last year then it will probably be something fairly simple. As suggested the battery needs a good charge and the carbs could need cleaning. Let me know.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips.. What wires coming off the coils should I test for the 12V? I am completly new to the bike world thats why Im having these troubles. And also I was looking at the points yesterday and one is touching and center and the other is way off center and not touching..

Comment

Where are you located?? There are quite a few TX members scattered around ... 8)

Comment

I checked the wires that lead into the coils today and one registered 10V while the other only reg 3

Comment

Working...
              X